Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screw driver ends/handle question

Screw driver ends/handle question

I bought some of those screwdriver ends from Lee Valley, and now I want to turn some hard maple handles to go on them. The thing is the screwdriver ends have those sort of wing things, so it does not turn when you use it. How would I get the screwdriver ends into the handles without the maple of the handle breaking. Cheers Ron.

You could rip the blank, rout a groove and then glue back together...or just drill an oversized hole and fill with epoxy (probably what I would do).

Tom

Sometimes, They would heat the end to red hot, and drive it in, burning as they went. It might take a few tries. Also, most have a ferrel, so the wood won't split at the end. Handle finish 009.jpgNew handle, old driver.

I made a set of screwdrivers with the screw driver set from Lee Valley. After drilling the center hole and turning the handle on the lathe, I used a knife and small files to make a small groove part of the way down the hole on both sides for the "wings" on the screwdrivers. Orient the wings so they are not as likely to split the wood on the blank.

Having a properly sized end for the ferrule is important (I used the ferrules that Lee Valley sells as well). I used epoxy in the holes to secure the screwdrivers. That said, I did split a turned handle when I hammered in a screwdriver once. I just chiseled out the screwdriver blade and made another handle (with a slightly deeper recess for the "wings" the second time.)
    Last edited by Christopher Dopp; 04-09-2012 at 4:10 PM. Reason: fix typo

Below is a picture of the set I made from the Lee Valley kit. On the right are a couple of drawbore pins I made following Chris Schwarz's instructions using a punch pin set from Sears.
    I also made a set of awls, marking knife and burnisher from Czeck Edge kits. They were a lot of fun to make.

Screwdrivers.jpg

That is a great looking set of tools. Something to put on my someday list.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Dopp View Post
    Below is a picture of the set I made from the Lee Valley kit.
    Oooooo, pretty! Makes me wish I had the space to put something to use to turn..... and the know-how to do it. Very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Petley View Post
    I bought some of those screwdriver ends from Lee Valley, and now I want to turn some hard maple handles to go on them. The thing is the screwdriver ends have those sort of wing things, so it does not turn when you use it. How would I get the screwdriver ends into the handles without the maple of the handle breaking. Cheers Ron.
    Hi Ron

I ground off most of the wings, leaving just enough to act as resistance to the shaft turning in the blank.

The handles are English Boxwood (for chisels) from LV. The wood was just too hard to drive the complete wings through ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

I turned these handles from cocobolo for the LV driver set. LV sells the drills for the proper hole size so I bought those as well. I used C330 brass tubing for the ferrules and polished them up with a little dur-sol. The sizing of the tenon is important so it won't crack when then driver is installed.

l.jpgl.jpg

I used one of my "practice" handles, aka messed up, to mount a jig saw blade on. Then used that to cut the wing slots in the handle. I used 1/2" copper end caps for the ferrules. Drilled a proper sized center hole, then used a file for the wings when needed.

Hoss

At one time I work in a Rubber Hose factory. Those Brass ferrels at the ends of either the 1/4", or the 3/8" air hoses worked great, even came "pre-drilled" as it were. Nice and shiny spun brass ones, at that....

Don't over think it. You can in most timbers just bash them in. Seriously.
    Really hard timbers is different. I have like Derek has ground off some of the wings a drop of epoxy and all good thus far.

While on the topic of screwdriver tip blanks...

Does anyone know where if I can buy one sized for the chipbreaker and lever cap screws and on a very short shank ala the Lie-Nielsen screwdriver? I am thinking the answer is that I will have to make one, which seems like it would not be difficult, but I'd rather buy one if they exist.

Screw driver.jpg

Gidgee a very hard Australian Timber. ground the wings down a little on this one.
    Steven Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    While on the topic of screwdriver tip blanks...

Does anyone know where if I can buy one sized for the chipbreaker and lever cap screws and on a very short shank ala the Lie-Nielsen screwdriver? I am thinking the answer is that I will have to make one, which seems like it would not be difficult, but I'd rather buy one if they exist.
    http://www.amazon.com/Wera-Series-Sh...4154595&sr=8-9