Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget friendly mitre saw stand

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Budget friendly mitre saw stand

I'm looking for an inexpensive mitre saw stand that will fit my Hitachi 10" mitre saw. I have this saw at our
    lake cabin, so please recemmond something that works, that does not cost an arm and a leg. I have looked at the Dewalt stand for $199.00, was hoping for something not that expensive. Not looking for a miracle tool for nothing, as I only use this saw a few times a year.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Have you thought about an old workmate off of CL and maybe a sawhorse or two for outfeed support? Easy to store, cheap to acquire, and it works pretty well. I've never understood the $200 miter saw STAND as you can get a decent RAS for half that, but I don't use a miter saw much either, so what do I know?

One option is to get a Rockwell Jawhorse with mitersaw station. Then when you are not using the mitersaw you can use the jawhorse for a bunch of various other tasks.

Costco was selling the jawhorse for $100 earlier this year and it came with a free plywood jaw. Then Lowes was closing out the mitersaw accessory for $10 or $15 for a long time. If you pay retail on both items then it will run you about $200 but at least you won't be stuck with a uni-tasker.

BTW, the older Rigid Mitersaw SUV doesn't fit the Hitachi 10" and I noticed some places still sell the older version. I had to bolt a piece of plywood to my Rigid MSUV, then bolt the hitachi C10FSH to the plywood to get it to fit.

I've seen a couple of black fridays and special sales where Home Depot cuts the price of the Rigid MSUV in half so you'd pay $100 instead of $200. Tough to say when the next sale will be.

I found a Ryobi (don't laugh) stand for $99.00. This puppy is heavy, made from steel rather than alum. Ain't gonna be one that ya want to take to the job site, but is SUPER steady. Had to modify a bit to fit my DeWalt MS, but what the heck.....
    Don't even know if they are still out there.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

+1 for the ryobi it received good reviews from trim carpenters although it's not available any more. it might show up on craigslist

For such casual use I think you CAN'T go wrong with the smaller Dewalt :http://www.google.com/products/catal...MAQ#ps-sellers Available from Amazon for less than $ 100.00.

I have the big one and am very happy with it but I don't think you can go wrong with this one. Another advantage of the Dewalt (and maybe others too) is that if you purchase an extra set of the tool mounts you can attach a piece of plywood for an offset router table or other table top /portable bench need. Can be a very versatile stand.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 04-09-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: silly me . I 'm having difficulty with the English language
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

http://www.amazon.com/Denali-Miter-S...2K/ref=lh_ni_t

Anyone have experience with this stand?? $89.00 and free shipping may be hard to resist.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Denali-Miter-S...2K/ref=lh_ni_t

Anyone have experience with this stand?? $89.00 and free shipping may be hard to resist.
    Jeff, I have had the Denali stand for about 2 years with a DW713 sitting mounted on it in my basement; I use it mostly in making rough cuts of longer stock for further use on the table saw.

To me, the stand is surprisingly stable and solid feeling for the price, partly because of the steel construction. The mounting arrangement for the saw locks down positively enough without a lot of fussing and removes easily as well.

It's certainly not perfect: the rollers are sturdy enough and can be locked in place reasonably securely, but they don't bring the phrase "precision machinery" immediately to mind. Also, the legs lock stably for normal use, but don't try to slide the whole assembly about without dismounting the saw.

I certainly would buy this one again for light-medium duty use, though I might well have considered the lighter DeWalt model if moving it around frequently was part of the plan.
    -----
    p.s.: A number of the Amazon reviews suggest the Denali and Ryobi stands are from the same factory; the HD and Amazon photos are very similar, as well.
    Last edited by Marty Scott; 04-09-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: added reference to Ryobi stand

+2 on the ryobi. I bought on the recommendation from a friend who used one on the jobsite for 5 years. I would not think twice about using it everyday for work.

HD still sells them where I live for $99.
    Last edited by Cyrus Brewster 7; 04-09-2012 at 8:20 PM. Reason: added place for purchase

Jeff, I use a slightly modified version of this...
    http://www.woodsmithshop.com/downloa...sawstation.pdf
    I just set the bed on top of saw horses and it seems to work well for me. Easy setup and break down and the price was right.

http___www.woodsmithshop.jpg
    Last edited by Ralph Butts; 04-09-2012 at 5:42 PM.

I've been happy with this simple stand PM3600 at http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...23-c-10164.htm It's not fancy but I think I paid only $30 after rebate when I bought it. It didn't fit my old delta 10" wich has 3 points, but a small plywood base did the trick.

Dan

I saw one made out of a junkyard BBQ grill. They get thrown out all the time when the grill burners go bad. Unbolt the grill, bolt in a platform at the right height, use the wings for outfeed support. It was cleaver and worked well.

Cost: $0

And no one will steal it!

Larry

The Dewalt miter saw stand is one of the best purchases I have made recently. It packs up in seconds, doesn't take up much room and you can instantly remove the saw for transport. I got the compact model, which is fine for anything under 10'. If you use it for 10 years, that's $20 a year to have no hassles using your saw.

This same stand is available without the extension wings for under $100. If you already have a roller stand, and just cut on one side, you'd have a fine set up.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWX725B...4011916&sr=1-3

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Griffin View Post
    The Dewalt miter saw stand is one of the best purchases I have made recently. It packs up in seconds, doesn't take up much room and you can instantly remove the saw for transport. I got the compact model, which is fine for anything under 10'. If you use it for 10 years, that's $20 a year to have no hassles using your saw.

This same stand is available without the extension wings for under $100. If you already have a roller stand, and just cut on one side, you'd have a fine set up.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWX725B...4011916&sr=1-3
    That's what I've been trying to say plus what you can do if you buy extra tool supports...
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I liked this one so much I bought two of them:
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-39...p-00922304000P

It's on sale right now for $89.00

I bolt my tools to a plywood base which can then be clamped to the stand.

It really is a universal stand.
    I mount all my benchtop tools on a plywood base so i can use them on the stand.
    If you real all the reviews, the only negative thing people say about it is that it's heavy.
    Heavy is a good thing, IMHO.
    I cut the legs down 6" on the second one I bought so it's more comfortable to use sitting down.
    I have the Dremel drill press and router table attachments mounted on plywood bases I use for hobby stuff where sitting down tto use them is easier.
    I also have a blank piece of 3/4" plywood ~ 2'x 3' that I put on it and use it for a reloading station.

The stand itself has very good in and outfeed support. W/the wings extended you can get nearly 10' of good support on either side.
    The only single drawback the stand has, other than being a Craftsman, is that it takes a bit of fiddling around to attach a stop block to it.

Best of all - it folds up into a very compact unit for storage/transport.
    I can't say enough good about ir.