Thread: NOW which router lift do I get?

NOW which router lift do I get?

OK, so I was wanting to get an MLCS Power Lift but the lack of reviews and the inability to support a 3HP router turned me away from that one. I don't have a 3HP router yet, but I will someday. Then I had an Incra Mast-R-Lift II on order until the shipping date was 2 months out so I cancelled it. Then I started looking at the Incra Sidewinder and decided that I really like that concept so I asked Incra a few questions about it and wouldn't you know it? It doesn't handle my PC 690 router very well, and it doesn't handle my Milwaukee 5616 router at all. So I asked about the PRL-V2 with crank and it uses the same basic router attachment as the Sidewinder so again no 5616.
    Well this all puts me back to the Mast-R-Lift II again which will handle both of my routers so I guess will be ok. I still may not be able to perform above-the-table bit changes with the 690 but I can live with that. But I think I really like the side crank idea. I have seen where some have motorized your lifts so I may go that route at some point.

The point of all this is . . . I don't remember which lifts that some of you have motorized, so is it easy to motorize the Mast-R-Lift II? What other lifts have you motorized that are still on the market today?

Thanks again,

Wayne

P.S. I am not in a big hurry because Incremental Tool is having a 10% off sale starting 4/25.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-15-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Language

Maybe it is time to consider a PC 7518 or Milwaukee 5625...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    As Van states, lifts aren't made in beige. I think you will find less frustration and be happier in the long run if you pick a lift/motor combination as opposed to looking for something that will be one thing now and another thing later. Just my experience.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Do you really need a motorized lift, I have the Master-R-Lift II and love it. I was thinking about a motorized lift at one time but then I just really didn't see that I needed it and to me that is just something else to go wrong, I like things basic and simple but work well.

I had one time that I wanted to raise the bit and the crank hole was covered by the board, so I just opened the door on the table and raised it with the nut on the end of the crank shaft.

I don't know the 690 but I don't know why you could not do above the table bit changes, I have the Bosch 1617 and I can bring it clear out of the top with no problem.

The difference in the Jessem Master R and the Incra Master R is the inserts, the Jessem are plastic and the Incra are metal. I got some blanks when I got the Master R and have used them to make some zci for some different bits, I am not sure you can do that with the Incra.

Now if you want to spend some money and you want a crank look at the Jessem Master-R-Lift Excel II.
    http://www.jessem.com/MAST-R-LIFT_EXCEL_II.html

Have you called Jessem to see if they have the Master R in stock?

Here is a write up on it when I got mine and it is still going great.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=master+r

Im with Bill. I think I will eventually end up with this one too. A lot of $$ but it will fit most any router so you can space out the router and lift purchase.

Well, I think I'm back to the Mast-R-Lift II and motorization or hand cranking will just have to be done without. The Mast-R-Lift Excell II is just way out of my price league at the moment, and the big router will have to wait as well. I just bought a PM66 table saw to replace my Craftsman contractor saw, and bought a couple of other toys too. She has been very good about all this, but if I spent a grand on a router table top/lift like that,

Doing without the cranking, either motorized or by hand, is probably not a big deal since I am just a hobbyist woodworker anyway. It's just that bells and whistles are usually kool. Being an ex-techie, I like my bells and whistles, and bells and whistles usually add value and/or significant useability options too. Usually. Bill, you asked if I needed motorization, and my answer is of course not, but what does need have to do with it?? . As Gollum would say, "I wants it. My Precioussss".

Regarding the table inserts, I have been using my PC 690 in a table for a long time (without a lift) and I think I have changed inserts maybe twice. I realize that having a metal insert is a concern, but since I don't change that often I think it is a minor concern. With the others like the Jessem, Kreg(?), and so on, I just KNOW that I would not be able to find the tool to replace them when I needed it. I also have a small metal lathe so if I needed a special size Incra insert I could chuck one up and make it.

Simple, solid, and bullet proof are also good. Maybe all those bells and whistles is why I spent so many nights and weekends fixing problems. . . . NAH! It HAD to be the users fault.

Thanks all,

Wayne
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-15-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Language

Why not a Triton router which gives you above the table height adjustment and bit change? No router lift required!

Tim

My feeling is the 690 is a bit small for a router table. I have an 890 in mine.
    I can adjust it from above the table.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

You could always get the Woodpecker and use the motor pads for now and take them out for your big motor later. Then again I prefer the Woodpecker PRL2 to the Jess-Em anyway.

Edit: Oops I was thinking you had a 890 I don't think they have pads for either one of your routers...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Well I ordered the MasterLift II and it will be arriving tomorrow. To say I am excited would be an understatement to say the least. I spent most of the weekend working on getting my router table build close to completion. I glued up the Corian and 3/4" BB Ply today and screwed it to gether as well to keep it as flat as humanly possible. I radiused the edges of the table for a more esthetic look and started cutting the holes in the table for dust collection. The table base is all done and just needs some paint to make it complete. So tomorrow I will get the router lift and lift cutting template I ordered from Incra and will hopefully get the lift installed tomorrow night. I will post an initial review of the lift after it is unpackaged.

Please post pictures of your table if you don't mind. I plan to revamp my table later this year. Corian top sounds very durable and smooth.

Mechanical fasteners and wood glue. I believe wood glue forms a stronger bond in wood than epoxy. Less expensive and longer working time too.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.