Thread: Shop organization project underway <PICS>

Shop organization project underway <PICS>

A few weeks ago I posted my intentions regarding my desire / need to better organize my shop (which is also the family garage).

Click here to see the original post.

Step one of the re-org was to build some wall cabinets. I started with a pretty simple design. The dimensions are 36w, 30h, and 15d. Plenty of room to store books, tool manuals, tools, etc.

The project got started a couple weeks ago, and the first three wall cabinets are up (although only one is completly finished). I mentioned in the original post that I work slowly, and I have been insanely busy with work the past couple months.

I built the cabinets out of 3/4" Birch ply with 3/4" MDF doors. I chose to go with frameless cabinets to save time and I like the look of the plywood edge grain for this application. They are finished with two coats of clear/satin poly.

The cabinets are hung on a cleat that runs the entire length of the wall. Eventually, the cleat will continue onto the two adjoining walls. The continuous cleat will permit me to re-arrange the cabinets (and other storage items) as the project progresses. I used some old 2x4's to make the cleats (planed down to 1-1/4" thick). They are attached to the wall with two 4" deck screws at each wall stud.

I used plywood bead board for the cabinets backs. I saw this used on the closet storage system in the current issue of Wood magazine and I really liked the look. My original design did not include a back, (but fellow creeker Jim Becker reminded me of the importance of a back, thanks Jim). The top of the back panel is inset as it allows room for the inset cleat. By insetting the cleat I get the cabinet to sit flat to the wall without the need for a spacer or a second cleat near the bottom, and it does not reduce the available storage capacity enough to be bothersome.

I added some euro hinges and some nickel plated knobs to complete the project.

The basic construction of the cabinets includes rabbet joints for the cabinet box (I glued and screwed the joints). I used a stop dado for the shelf which was glued and nailed into place with 18 ga. brads. The backs are rabbeted and only nailed using 18 ga. brads.

I rounded all the external corners and edges for safety (I am constantly banging my head).

Eventually I will build several more of these cabinets, as well as some shelving for dedicated tool storage.

Thanks for looking.
    Jeff

Nice job Jeff

You look like you have a great start to your project. I need to do the same. Have you figured the cost of materials vs. some store bought units? I'm wondering if you checked on this? If it's worth it I'll build my own too. The bead board looks great as the back. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    Have you figured the cost of materials vs. some store bought units? I'm wondering if you checked on this? If it's worth it I'll build my own too.
    Great question Alan,

I did indeed look at buying cabinets instead of building them. Ready made cabinets were either too small, too poorly made, or too expensive. I also looked at some of the new Garage Storage Systems and found them to be way too expensive.

I was able to build all three of these for about $ 150.00 total (including hinges and knobs). Of course, if you factor in my wages and the fact that it took four times longer to build them than it should have ... But making sawdust is so relaxing, how can you put a price on that.
    Jeff

excellent work and I agree the ready made stuff is junk.. you will find it much more pleasent to work in a neat shop IMHO

lou

Thumbs up

I like the "look" of the cabinets. They look like thought went into them. Nice job. Looking forward to seeing the progress......
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1