Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fair price for a Minimax 16" bandsaw???

Fair price for a Minimax 16" bandsaw???

Seen on CL.

"Powerful bandsaw with a 16" re-saw capacity. This is a beefy machine and yes, it is single phase. It has hardly been used. It has the mobile base and also with a saw this size, it has a food stop on it. It has a large cast iron table and comes with several new blades. The picture is from the Mini-Max web site. This saw is about 5 years old."

He's asking $2,495. Aren't these things about $3K brand new? If so, isn't $2,495 a bit optimistic?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I don't know, but if your trying to lose some weight that "food stop" may come in pretty handy

JeffD

It depends on whether the saw is the latest upgrade. It was changed about three times over the past ten years. Go Charlie Plesums website at solowoodworker.com for info on the various MM machines. Dave

If it is truely 5 years old it will be the current model with the 4.8hp motor and ~16" of resaw height, the last change would have been about 7 years ago.

The price is high in my estimation. Certainly you need to add the value of any extras. I have not priced the MM line since they removed the prices from the website but my guess would be 3200-3300 delivered. I think a used MM16 should be under 2K not a lot but still under. I don't remember the list price 5 years ago but that isn't a lot less than he would have paid for the saw itself.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have that same saw - mine is about 4 years old. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it new but it was less than 3K and it came with several blades and the mobile kit. I would guess the asking price is about what it cost new then. I don't know what the price is now so that might make the older saws have a greater resale value kind of like the PM lathes. All said I think the price is on the high end.

Here in Canada (Edmonton) where things are typically more expensive than in US I can get a MM16 with mobility kit from a dealer in the city for $2900 (No extra charge if you pick it up).
    If I am buying use I'd want it to be under $2k mark for that.

$2495.00 is on the high side, I'd agree that under 2k is where it should be, given the age. $1800.00 would be a good deal IMO
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Paid $1800 for mine 2 years ago. The saw was built about the same time as the one you are looking at.

Glen
    My MM16 off of Craigslist, was a 4 years old model with 4.6 HP motor, when I picked it up. Included was several blade two with carbide tips. For about half of his asking price. Tom

Thanks for the replies guys. I offered him $1,500 via email early in the day. I have not yet heard back from him so he may be insulted. Oh well.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

That's because I outbid you at $1501 and am taking delivery tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hassad View Post
    Man, that is just evil if it is a joke... even more so if it were true...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Exclamation

For 2500 you could get yourself a 30, 32 or 36" older 3ph ,Oliver,Tannewitz, Yates, Fay & Egan, Moak.... band saw.... that price is high IMO...but it may be in imaculant condition...I still think its overpriced....

JMPO.....

B,

If you have to move it, yourself, he's overpriced.

For a few dollars more, you can have a new MM16, and shipping will be part of the price.
    This is more than I paid for my MM20.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hassad View Post

Sad but true, I post here about a Powermatic lathe for some info on a Craigslist sale. The seller said "that after I talked to him he had over 10 calls about the lathe many from out of state, and not one call before I talked to him." I was lucky he sold to me only because I made the first offer. Tom
    Last edited by Thomas Hotchkin; 04-14-2012 at 12:51 PM.