Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fair price for a Minimax 16" bandsaw???

Glen, be sure this is something you can look at before you put any money out...especially when there are misspellings in the ad like that. I do agree that the price the offeror listed is on the high end.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    This is more than I paid for my MM20.
    It is also more than I paid for my MM20 as well.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yeah, I'd never buy the thing sight unseen, but it's probably moot. I never got a response to either of the two emails I sent the guy. I'm sure he was insulted at the offer, in spite of me informing him (politely) that a brand new MM16 can be had for $2,995.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    Yeah, I'd never buy the thing sight unseen, but it's probably moot. I never got a response to either of the two emails I sent the guy. I'm sure he was insulted at the offer, in spite of me informing him (politely) that a brand new MM16 can be had for $2,995.
    At the price it may sit for a while. I would watch it and contact him next time with a different email address, in case he was truely offended... I would be surprised if it went for over 2k.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

WOW, so my Yates American 36" BS @ $100 was a theft! Really, I did not use a gun, any intimidation, or a bandana. He set the price.
    [yes, it is 3 phase, but not a problem for me]

Okay guys, I could use some of your sage advice. I finally made contact with the seller and had a nice phone conversation with him this afternoon. I asked him if he would entertain an offer of $1500 and he said that his best price would be $2100. He says it is in "immaculate" condition and comes with a few blades (although none of them are carbide ..... dang). He understands the 50% used rule of thumb but this bandsaw is in incredible condition, was rarely used, and after all, it's an Italian brand! A new one will cost $2995 plus (I assume) shipping. However, I would have to pay to get his used one delivered to me. The shipping cost vs moving cost might be a wash. So the question becomes do I pay $900 more to get a brand new one with warranty. I need some input as I am on the fence.

He sent some photos (below).

The third option I am considering is a Grizzly G0514X2B 19" 3 HP Extreme-Series® Bandsaw with Motor Brake for $1694 (which includes shipping).

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Glen Blanchard; 04-17-2012 at 9:54 PM.
    Regards,

Glen

It's hard to appreciate a Mini Max until you've operated one. Might be worth the trip to try it out.

Glen the price is on the high end and I would buy the Y30 snowflake on WW BUT ask yourself what you would realistically pay. If $1700, then ask yourself if a300-400 upcharge is worth it vs potentially buying new. You can not overpay for the right machine and the best price is too much if you buy the wrong one. I would not pass on a pristine overpriced used machine if it is the one i really wanted. You need to decide if the MM16 is the machine you will keep for a lifetime. That really is a pristeen saw. Dave

Second the notion that a quality tool is hard to appreciate until you use it. I bought a MiniMax a few years back. I go out of my way to use it. I thought I would forego upgrading my table saw because this "Italian Stallion" can almost do it all. It is a sweet tool. It is worth more than a quality tool made in Asia. I own some of those tools as well.
    You would be very happy with a MiniMax.

That is to high,........IMO....if your serious about getting the best bang for your buck...you may want to consider 3ph cast iron machinery......

You could get yourself a 1940 Yates snowflake, 30" in imaculant condition, with adjustable rip fence - rare I might add for $2300.00

There is one for sale ..just found it tonight..,,,,

The difference between the saws are like night & day.....IMO...not that what your looking at is not a good band saw, it is , but in it's own class....that's all I am saying...

You may want to look into Older Amercan made WW machinery. It depends on where it's going if you should be so inclined...if its being planted in your basement, it would be very difficult getting 1600lbs in a basement, possible if you disassemble the entire saw and then re-assemble it back in the basement....

I have seen this size saw and bigger in basements.....

One member I know has his shop and is on the second floor of a building, with no elevator-he has a 10 ton swing out crane in the stairway to bring his machinery up. Took an Oliver 16" jointer up, recently a 36" band saw...waiting to see what's next.......LOL

But he makes it work...

Anyway,
    Something for you to chew on,.......

B,
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 04-17-2012 at 11:29 PM.

I am seriously on the fence with this one. The paying to get it moved is what is really blunting my enthusiasm. That said given the mobile base and how nice it looks I might well take a look. In the end a MM16 is really what you want then I would probably do it, if the MM16 is just one of those saws that you would be fine with and just happen to pop up then maybe hold off, something better WILL show up it is just a matter of how long. It appears since you will have to move it the "discount" is about $1,000 all told just go with your gut on this and don't try to over think it. If you do decide to pass due to price I would call and tell him X amount is all you can scarpe together and if he changes his mind to call you, there aren't going to be a lot of buyers at that price, you almost have to be ready to pull the trigger on a new one since it ain't gonna be an impulse buy because it was such a deal.

I tend to look at this a bit different.

Go have a look .. if the saw is as sweet as it sounds, and you are going to use it lots.. Buy it and get on with it .. lol

My old SCM Bandsaw is an 1987 .. If it where a 1983 or a 1991, I would not care.. End of the day, its what you do with the saw that matters.

The MM-16 is a fantastic saw.. I would not go with a bigger Grizzly for less money in this case..

Your not going to re-sell.. I assume ? Buy it and make lots of dust, be happy that you have a world class bandsaw.. you would not regret buying one for full price, this is a nice bonus.

It doesn't make dollars and sense.

The shipping cost will be MUCH higher than you anticipate, as a lift truck will be necessary.
    I purchased my MM20 from it's first owner in Charleston, SC.

Shipping costs included collecting the saw, securing it to a pallet, pallet materials, shipping to my door, fuel surcharge and a lift gate fee.
    After it was all said and done, it would have been the same cost to purchase one new from Minimax.

Contact a local piano mover to see if they can handle the job. These guys know how to wrangle heavy iron.
    Ask for their door-to-door price. That's likely what it will cost with multiple carriers, too.

I recommend you call Minimax and other high-end vendors and see if they can approximate this deal.
    If you're ready to buy, you might get a new, or blemished unit for about the same money - with the seller on the hook for insurance.

With this saw, it's your problem the moment you pay the man.

On the down low.jpg

Well I can't say that I have always lusted after a Minimax, but the bandsaw is one of the stationary tools I want to upgrade sometime and I WANT to be happy with the purchase. I don't want to feel a need to upgrade in the future. The others upgrades on my list include bench top spindle sander --> floor standing spindle sander, stationary belt/disc sander --> oscillating edge sander and acquiring/building a smallish hand tool workbench ("smallish, as I am running out of room). I have seen the extreme enthusiasm here for the MM16 and other Minimax products, so the CL listing caught my eye. (However, it seems most folks love their Grizzly bandsaws as well). Now I seem to be geared up to make a bandsaw purchase of some kind.

I already have 2 bandsaws - a 14" JET I use exclusively for scroll work and a 16" JET that I use for resawing and ripping. My plans are to replace the 16" as I would think the 14" is better suited to scroll work (cool blocks vs. European guides for the narrow blades). Am I wrong here? Should I keep the 16" for scroll work instead?

Today I will be determining shipping/moving charges and factoring those into my decision.

Anyway, this is what has led me to this point. I think I may soon pull the trigger on.........something.

I appreciate all the comments/feedback an awful lot!!
    Regards,

Glen

There is no way I would entertain paying that for a used tool. I recently had to make a similar decision with a seller who wanted $500 less for a 5 year-old tool than the brand new tool cost. I was going to either pay $700 shipping to the manufacturer, or have to drive 500 miles to pick up a used tool or 600 miles to pick up a brand new tool. Used is used. I found out long ago that the seller of a used car is just as likely to lie about its condition as a used car salesman. He'd have to come down below $1800 to make it worth your time. In my opinion your first offer was fair to both parties considering all the other expenses you will incur. Good luck with whatever you decide.