Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fair price for a Minimax 16" bandsaw???

Whatever you decide is fine but don't equate a Grizzly with a MM. MM are the top of the food chain in steel saws and I will take a used MM- particularly the 20 or 24 over most any saw. Used might be used but it really depends on what you are starting out with. My oliver 217 is vintage 1936 and will blow out any new saw made. For scroll work keep the best saw. I use a Y20 for scroll work so a 16" isn't too big provided it works well. I conside the older Laguna ACM LT18 to be the perfect scroll saw. Dave

Blog Entries
    I think in this case, after the expense of moving the tool, it's going to come down to just a few hundered dollars between new and used pricing.

I'd do a new one. There is not enough of a savings here to buy this tool.

Just my $.02.

PHM

After some homework and a few phone calls, I can get a $300 discount on a new MM16. Following is a cost comparison of a new MM16 vs this used one......

NEW

MSRP - 2995
    Discount - <300>
    Sales Tax - 222
    Lift Gate Shipping - 247
    Total - 3164

USED
    Price - 2100
    Delivery - 300
    Total - 2400

The difference would be 764 and I don't think that's enough to persuade me to buy used. While talking to the MM rep, I was able to confirm that this MM16 was purchased in 2005, making it 7 years old (but after the latest change in that model). He also told me that based on its age, it was probably purchased for approx. 1800.
    Last edited by Glen Blanchard; 04-18-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

There's your dollars and sense.

Now you know what the original buyer paid.
    Where was the $300 shipping computation made? That's a smokin' deal for shipping costs.

I think you have about $300 to shave off the seller, otherwise you're still paying more than the saw is worth.
    (You're certainly saving off new, but bandsaws don't appreciate in value - unless Van Huskey owns it, that is.)

If you've got cash in your hand, your negotiating position is stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Where was the $300 shipping computation made? That's a smokin' deal for shipping costs.
    The $247 shipping estimate for lift gate service came from the MM rep. The $300 estimate to move the used one across town is from a piano moving company. Interestingly, most of the moving companies I spoke with today lost interest when they found out it had to be carried down a flight of stairs (at the seller's location).
    Regards,

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I think you have about $300 to shave off the seller,
    Jim, you're too kind. MM said seller paid $1800 seven years ago. Shaving $300, he gets his purchase price back on an out-of-warranty, outdated MM16! Good deal for the seller (oh, and I've got a CU300, only 4 years old that you may be interested in ... )
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Since the seller and I have spoken a few times and we talked about my going out to look at the saw, as a courtesy, I called him a few minutes ago to let him know that his saw is a little out of my price range. He has my phone numbers if he reconsiders his pricing, but I don't see that happening. He could get me to bite at about $1500 give or take.

Thanks everyone for helping me to sort this out!!
    Last edited by Glen Blanchard; 04-18-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Regards,

Glen

While the price is a little high what the seller originally paid is irrelevant. After you saw the first board on a new saw they will be exactly the same. A saw you can examine yourself, help or at least supervise and control the move, and still be 700 or more ahead is still like finding money on the street. I will always pay more for something I can verify than for something on faith. You are unlikely to find many machines across town so you will either pay more for new or buy a lesser saw for the same cash. I move 2000-3000 lb machines around enough to know a 700 lb saw isn't that scary even if stairs are involved. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    While the price is a little high what the seller originally paid is irrelevant. After you saw the first board on a new saw they will be exactly the same. A saw you can examine yourself, help or at least supervise and control the move, and still be 700 or more ahead is still like finding money on the street. I will always pay more for something I can verify than for something on faith. You are unlikely to find many machines across town so you will either pay more for new or buy a lesser saw for the same cash. I move 2000-3000 lb machines around enough to know a 700 lb saw isn't that scary even if stairs are involved. Dave
    I understand your logic, Dave, and your points are well taken. One of the big considerations for me is the fact that once my movers pick that thing up from its current resting spot, it's mine. If they damage it on the way down the stairs, it's mine. If they damage it in transit, it's mine. I have no recourse for any damages. This is of course true for any used purchase, but in my mind, the cost difference needs to be great enough to justify the risk. In my eyes, this is not. It also has no warranty (probably will never be a factor, but this must be considered). Ignoring the shipping/moving expenses and the sales tax from the equation for the moment, a brand new saw would be only $600 more.
    Regards,

Glen

I hear you Glen but if it is across town and I can be there for the loading and unloading and still save money I'll do it even if it makes me liable. There are no winners if there are shipping problems regardless who is responsible. There are many instances where the buyer accepts some repairable damage rather than going through the replacement process. Even only loading and unloading once is a benefit as you have no idea how many times and in how many terminals your machine will be moved around. Now I have been accused of control freakishness. Dave

It is honestly a shame you now know the original price as it puts a dark cloud on the situation. I am certainly not trying to persuade you to buy it (as I do think it is a bit high) I don't think that selling price is accurate. The "going price", meaning discounted street price for a MM16 at the beginning of 2004 was $1700 BUT that was still the 12.5" resaw with the 3.6hp motor, the very end of production for that iteration. Later in 2004 they moved to the 14" resaw with the current 4.8hp motor and shortly after that they moved to the current 16"/4.8hp motor. I would verify that it is not the tweener 14" resaw model but if it is the current model he didn't get it for $1700 even in 2005. I could track down the going price in that era for the current model and I am happy to try BUT only if you actually care, in other words I ain't doin' it just to satisfy my curiosity!

Edit #1 Did some digging, I can't help it... The current 16" resaw MM16 first landed on our shores in March of 2005.

Edit #2 OK OK I lied, I apparently WILL do it just for my curiosity Fall 2005 list price for the 16"/4.8hp MM16 was $2,395

Edit #3 OK, yes I am OCD and yes I admit to having things filed away from AWFS in Vegas from 2005... don't judge me, you don't know me... Show sale price on their flyer for the new improved world beatin' (my words) MM16 was $2,095 it doesn't list any extras but they did tend to throw in the mobility kit BUT I don't know if they did at the "show special" and I don't know how long they carried that price for.

Edit #4 I got all excited seeing all the old literature and started going through the bag of goodies, when I reached the bottom there were tons of business cards and while going through them I found a MM card with my note that read they would include the mobility kit and three blades with the sale price on their bandsaws so that would have been $2095 plus freight for the MM16, 3 blades and the mobility kit at least at the time of the AWFS, the flyer did say you did not have to attend the show but order by the end of the show, whether that was hard and fast I don't know. In the end I think a good guess if he bought the saw in late 2005 or early 2006 it was a 16" resaw machine and he probably paid $2,400 - $2,500 shipped to his house PLUS sales tax since MM had a business nexus there at the time.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 04-18-2012 at 4:34 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

LOL! Van, really you are the god of Bandsaws.
    Perhaps we should rename them to Vansaws

To the original poster: Look at it this way. Assuming the saw is in near new condition what would you do in the following situation:

If the saw is priced at $2400 new at a dealer but with no warranty (essentially the same as you see it now) would be willing to pay
    an extra $700 to buy warranty on that or will you pay only $2400 to the dealer with no warranty?

Forgot to say: I'd probably do the moving myself if it was me.
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 04-18-2012 at 4:46 PM.

Im seeing a lot of numbers being tossed out as to the cost of the MM16 new. I just took delivery of a new one in feb. (By the way they have changed their model numbering system) It was at the sale price of $2,595. It included two cheap blades and the mobile base. I paid $200 to have it shipped to my place of employment. So total of $2,795.

Quote Originally Posted by steve moser View Post
    Im seeing a lot of numbers being tossed out as to the cost of the MM16 new. I just took delivery of a new one in feb. (By the way they have changed their model numbering system) It was at the sale price of $2,595. It included two cheap blades and the mobile base. I paid $200 to have it shipped to my place of employment. So total of $2,795.
    Thats a hundred better than they are offering Glen now (they tend to go up and down on the discount) and he gets stuck with sales tax and residential liftgate delivery.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    Okay guys, I could use some of your sage advice. I finally made contact with the seller and had a nice phone conversation with him this afternoon. I asked him if he would entertain an offer of $1500 and he said that his best price would be $2100. He says it is in "immaculate" condition and comes with a few blades (although none of them are carbide ..... dang). He understands the 50% used rule of thumb but this bandsaw is in incredible condition, was rarely used, and after all, it's an Italian brand! A new one will cost $2995 plus (I assume) shipping. However, I would have to pay to get his used one delivered to me. The shipping cost vs moving cost might be a wash. So the question becomes do I pay $900 more to get a brand new one with warranty. I need some input as I am on the fence.

He sent some photos (below).

The third option I am considering is a Grizzly G0514X2B 19" 3 HP Extreme-Series® Bandsaw with Motor Brake for $1694 (which includes shipping).

Thanks.
    When I found the MM16 that I ended up purchasing, I moved it myself. I rented an enclosed Uhaul trailer, used some ratcheting straps, and some moving blankets. The owner and his brother helped me load the trailer. The saw went into the trailer on its spine (this is how they are shipped from the factory). The mobile base helps with the loading since is rolls even when the saw is laying down. I strapped the saw in very securely and drove the 3 hours from Hershey PA to my home in CT. I built a ramp to roll the saw out of the trailer. And another ramp allowed me to roll the saw down a half flight of stairs from my garage into my basement workshop. I used my small tractor to hold back the weight of the saw as gravity helped it roll down the ramp into my basement. Once it was downstairs, I used a come-along to stand it up.

The MM16 is a FANTASTIC saw. Paid $1800 for mine and it is one of my favorite tools. I am sure that the previous owner was sorry to see the saw go, but he was relocating from PA to Montana, and he was selling his tools rather than moving them that distance. If you are able bodied, have the means to tow a small trailer, and can line up some strong backs to help you load the trailer, you may be able to move it yourself.

btw.....mine came with a Lennox tri-master carbide tipped blade which is a very nice blade.

Good luck!