Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fair price for a Minimax 16" bandsaw???

Update: Looking over today's CL ads, I saw that this saw has been reduced from the original $2495 to $2295. I texted the seller and asked him if he would be willing to reduce the price he offered me ($2100) by the same $200. He returned the text stating that he would sell it and deliver it to me for $2150. As delivery was going to run me a good $250 - $300, that sounds like a fair deal. I replied by telling him that it sounds good to me, but that I'd like to see the saw. Unless something changes, I should be inspecting it in the next 24 hours or so.

I will confirm that it is 4.8 HP and has a full 16" of resaw. Anything else I should look for?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

I would check the condition of the tires and want to see it run. If the guides are set properly, they shouldn't be touching or spinning as the blade is moving. The machine should be fairly quiet.

I have a 5 year old or so 4.8HP MM-16 and it is one of my favorite tools. I don't use it as much as my table saw but I have no regrets buying it. I am sure my 2 sons will argue who gets it after my demise.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Sounds like you are in a much better place RE money, I wouldn't want to move a bandsaw like that down stairs either! All flat would be a different story.

See the saw under power and it should be "calm" no excitement and no vibration. The tires are probably in pretty good shape but take a look, the good thing about MM tires is they snap on and are realtively cheap compared to say the vucanized rubber Agazzani's which although they last longer pretty much need to be sent out to refurbish. When you look at the saw bring a tape and make sure it is 16", it should be but make sure, it will probably be about 15 3/4" below the guides just make sure it isn't under 14", in the excitement you could mis-judge that and he may not be lying just taking the current specs, double check the motor plate says 4.8hp also, I am sure it is since only the ~12" resaw MM16 came with less.

Now I am more comfortable with the deal as clean as it looks I would buy it for the savings you are looking at.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

3 years later....................what happened? Don't leave me hanging. Did he get it?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.