Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can this 10" blade be used without 2 teeth

Tom,
    I dropped the outer blade of my Freud SD206 a couple years ago and busted off either one or two teeth when it hit the metal frame of the saw.
    At the time, I asked here if it was ok to use it and the replies were that it would be fine.
    I've been using it since then and really can't see any difference in the cuts it makes.

Would the same info as above apply to that blade as well?

I say make a test cut.

I have a premium blade (an old Budke) I got with my Powermatic back in '97. It's been a great blade. However, I took it to get sharpened (a company I had not used for TS blades before) 1/2 way through my kitchen project, and when I got it back, it made about 3 good cuts before I started getting splintering. Now, when even a bit duller, I realize the blade is warped, and it has to be due to the sharpening service. For example, cutting grooves for drawer a bottom moving slow is fine, but moving the wood at my normal speed, the runout / wobble in the blade is unacceptable, causing the wood to want to jump and even causing the wood to burn. Never had a blade do this before. I can see the runout.

So, I have all my teeth, but my test cuts tell me "don't use it - the blade is toast". Ticks me off.

What do your test cuts tell you? Are you in tune with your blade?

Oh, and I've broken teeth off too - no big deal.

since i'm from the "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" school of thought, i'll be disposing of the damaged blade. the mere thought of a carbide tip being hurled in my direction during a cut by a rotating saw blade is really unappealing.

scott.. thanks for the 1040x suggestion. freud tech support confirmed, and i was kind of surprised by this, that the diablo and freud "industrial" blades are made in the same factory. i don't know whether this is true or not, ("some days they make diablo blades and other days they make freud blades") but i'm ordering a d1040x shortly primarily because it resembles my damaged c-man blade and has a 15* hook angle. at $30 from amazon with free shipping, we'll see how it performs as a general purpose blade. thanks to all for the opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    since i'm from the "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" school of thought, i'll be disposing of the damaged blade. the mere thought of a carbide tip being hurled in my direction during a cut by a rotating saw blade is really unappealing.

scott.. thanks for the 1040x suggestion. freud tech support confirmed, and i was kind of surprised by this, that the diablo and freud "industrial" blades are made in the same factory. i don't know whether this is true or not, ("some days they make diablo blades and other days they make freud blades") but i'm ordering a d1040x shortly primarily because it resembles my damaged c-man blade and has a 15* hook angle. at $30 from amazon with free shipping, we'll see how it performs as a general purpose blade. thanks to all for the opinions.
    The carbide on the Industrial blades is larger, and sometimes the anti-vibration slots are more elaborate, but AFAIK they're otherwise made in the same factory on the same equipment from the same materials to the same standards.

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

5. Yeah, it'll work, but it hammer the crap out of your saw, more prone to kickback, etc. Take it to the nearest professional lumberyard- not a Big Box- and they most probably have a shop they send contrator's bades to and get it re-toothed and sharpened. Good blades are worth it. If you can replace it with the same quality at the same price as a re-tooth and grind, your right, it's not worth the trouble

So, I have all my teeth, but my test cuts tell me "don't use it - the blade is toast".
    Send it back and make them replace it. I've had blades and cutters wrecked by the cheap help at the saw shop and they have always come good for it.