Thread: Pocket hole location

Pocket hole location

Does it matter which side i put a pocket hole. i am building a stand for my bench grinder. It is basically just a box with a lid. four sides and a top. or an upside down drawer. I would like to put the pocket holes inside the box since it will look better but am wondering if it would be stronger if i added them to the outside??? 3/4" MDF. And for the record if it will be stronger on the outside I don't really care what a bench grinder stand looks like .... Thanks, John.

I don't think it would make a difference what side you put them on. I really don't think that any one side would be stronger. Could be wrong....I always put them where you don't see them....

i prefer to keep them on the inside as long as there's enough room to get the driver in position.

Pocket Hole construction + MDF = recipe for disaster. I would suggest confirmat screws.

I don't think that it makes a difference for strength whether the pocket holes are on the inside or outside but I typically try to put them where they are least visible... unless you want to dissassemble it in which case access would be important.

Tom

+1 on what Todd said

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Pocket Hole construction + MDF = recipe for disaster. I would suggest confirmat screws.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Make that +2
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

As others have said, mdf does not hold screws well. I would be ok with pocket screws but i would back them with added glue blocks, etc. A pocket screw is not strong in mdf, the glue on the joint adds a lot with mdf.

Like you said, it's just a grinder stand, so one isn't expecting dovetail joints. I'd go for the simplest: glue and face screw, save the pocket screws for something that merits their use.

- Beachside Hank
    The use of nails in fine furniture is to be abhorred- drywall screws are preferred.

Well, I now agree that the pocket hole screws and MDF don't really get along. I did do this the way I planned. I added a drawer to the unit mainly as I was adding support braces inside and it hit my these might as well be drawer runners. Here are a few pics of the thing. It will hold but I will most likely not use pocket hole joinery with MDF for anything bigger or that might need more support. I do like it at the end of the lathe though....John

DSC00233.jpgDSC00234.jpgDSC00236.jpg

Looks nice. I think this was a perfect way to 'experiment' with MDF and pocketscrews.

I honestly have not found a great way to join MDF in any kind of stress receiving joint. The problem isn't the joint - it's the MDF. Even a glued mdf joint rips easily apart.

For jigs and things like yr stand, though, pocketscrews are a fast way to a passable solution.

nice "shop cabinets" btw

Ha, free is the only good thing I have to say about them. they were pulls from an install a friend of mine did.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john davey View Post
    Does it matter which side i put a pocket hole. i am building a stand for my bench grinder. It is basically just a box with a lid. four sides and a top. or an upside down drawer. I would like to put the pocket holes inside the box since it will look better but am wondering if it would be stronger if i added them to the outside??? 3/4" MDF. And for the record if it will be stronger on the outside I don't really care what a bench grinder stand looks like .... Thanks, John.
    It absolutely matters for high strength applications. From the inside you're only getting the tip of the screw into a corner of the board. From the other direction there is more wood around the tip. Having said all that, I agree with the confirmat screw suggestion when working with MDF.

that mdf dust is sooooooooooooooooo sticky...