Thread: Woodworking/Woodturning in Germany

Woodworking/Woodturning in Germany

Gents,
    I haven't posted much but have lurked in the background for quite a while. The Army has saw fit to station me in germany and I was curious if anyone in the croud had any expierence with woodworking/woodturning over here. There has to be some places to acquire woods and tools just wondering where to start? Thanks for any help!

Chris

2. Welcome to the Creek, Chris...........can't help with your question, but if I had info, I certainly would.........just wanted to welcome you!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Chris - Welcome!

I am sure that things have changed since I was in the service but there used to be a base or post hobby shop that catered to woodworkers. I also remember that finding wood in Germany was not easy... so hopefully your local hobby shop will be a good source for you!

Where in Germany?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I was told that Spangdahlem AFB has a first rate wood hobby shop. Just checked their website... looks like it's still there. May not be close to where you're at, but a good place to start your quest.

Gentlemen, thanks for the responses! I'll definately check out the on base options. I think Spangdahlem is fairly close. I still have about 2 weeks before I am able to move in to an apartment/house off post and probably 1-2weeks after that before my stuff arrives but I wanted to check things out before everything comes. Thanks again!

Chris, if at all possible, try to visit Oberammergau (Bavaria). When I was stationed in Germany (over 40 years ago) this was and I'm sure is still full of wood carving shops. It seemed like the whole town was nothing but carvers - a real gem for lovers of wood.

Hello Chris. Go to Google, search for Drechseln and you will find a great deal of woodturning. As I do not know where in Germany you will be working it is hard to give informations. If in Southern Germany you may go to Olbernhau-Seiffen and Neuhausen, the old centers for woodturning in former DDR. Woodturning tools and equipment can be purchased at Drechselcentrum Erzgebirge in Olbernhau, they have a homepage, just write Drechselcentrum Erzgebirge. In northern Germany you may look for Maderas Drechseltechnik in Klinkrade, their hompage can be found by searching for Maderas drechseltechnik There are quite a lot of woodturners in Germany to be found, just use internet. Kurt Johansson Sweden

I guess I should have said in the beginning post. I'm currently stationed in Stuttgart. It seems great so far!

Probably your best bet is to obtain supplies from England at Craft Supplies UK http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/

machines could be obtained from a Centauro dealer http://www.centaurospa.it/catalogo.php I'll bet Mini-Max USA could point you in the right direction

Have a Parkbrau for me while your there.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.