Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ever hide tools from your wife??

I have a couple of mounted deer heads, they are special to me and my son. My wife doesnt think much of the "dead animal head hanging on the wall" thing. The last one I got, I hung on the wall in plain view although kind of high, we have an exposed ceiling in the living room. She didnt notice it for over two hours while sitting on the couch and looking right at it. I told her in no uncertain terms that it must not bother her all that much. So I guess I dont have to hide those things from her anymore. Jared

I won't lie to her about new tools if she asks, but I don't always offer the information unless it's an expensive tool. My first router was a red and black Craftsman (she new about it), but it's not a coicidence that my Freud FT1700, Milwaukee 5625, and Milwaukee 5615 are also red and black routers that she may or may not know about. She sure noticed my mew green Hitachi M12VC though! ....
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-14-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I hid a med. brand new shoulder plane and now I cannot find it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Hide tools from her? Good heavens, who would I turn to when I can't find something??
    ROTFLMAO!

I though I was the only one who brings a gouge into the kitchen and leaves it there..... Where did I leave my gouge? Honey?!?!?!? Have you seen my gouge?

When I first got married.. no doubt.. she hated tools... Over time that changed when she realized the benefits, but she still complained.

Thank God that relationship ended.

I have bought my girlfriend two lathes, turning tools, sharpening jigs, bandsaw, drill press, and a chest to store stuff... Am I happy now or whut.

When I score a craigslist deal, we do high fives..

She has bought me a midi lathe and loved the 3520B when it was born..

:-)

How about the opposite? I came home one day to a long box that UPS had delivered, new skis, I said they were extra long clamps and hauled the box to the basement. I got busted a few weeks later later though, by my daughter, when we went skiing. In my defense, it was screaming good deal and I really did need to upgrade my skis. I paid for it later that year though, when she wanted new patio furniture.

I wouldn't say that I "Hide" tools from wife. I just put them in places she probably wouldn't look.\

Though everyone hiding tools thinks they are all clever, little do they know that their wives are buying clothes and cosmetics at ridiculous prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    The latest is this line boring/hinge press machine. I pulled the trigger on it for $200, since I have some bookcases and cabinets to do and find drilling the shelf holes tedious. Figure I can use it, resell it if I want (of course I never actually resell anything - just collect), and come out cheaper than a fixture (I have a homemade shelf pin guide - but this thing will give some satisfaction, pneumatics and all).
    Carl - you have what easily qualifies as a "plausible excuse". In fact, if I might, you went farther than you needed to - don't want to establish too high a bar on future rationales. Knda overdrove your headlights, as it were.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    I hid a med. brand new shoulder plane and now I cannot find it.
    When you find it, I would be happy to hide it for you.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    I wouldn't say that I "Hide" tools from wife. I just put them in places she probably wouldn't look.\

Though everyone hiding tools thinks they are all clever, little do they know that their wives are buying clothes and cosmetics at ridiculous prices.
    Forget clothes and cosmetics, bags and purses is what will kill you, my wife has a fetish for both. Just for reference guys if you see your wife has shoes with red soles feel free to treat yourself to something with Festool written on it, likely you will still get the short end of that bargain!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I value my wife's trust more than any tool.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

My wife is very supportive although that is wearing thin as the backlog of projects for her is not shortening. However, I'm embarrassed to admit that my Festool collection, which has grown suddenly and somewhat unjustifiably, wasn't made obvious to her immediately. She's aware of it now, but wasn't in real-time. I agree with Brian though - I shouldn't violate her trust.

BUT BUT

Last night my wife mentioned that the average woman has 17 pairs of shoes, a figure she was using to say she was perfectly normal. Knowing full well that my wife is above-average, I challenged her and counted them. I found 30 pairs without even looking in odd places, and that doesn't even take into account how quickly she throws out/donates shoes she no longer wants. So there.

just the other day i noticed my wife carrying a new purse (or at least one that i've never noticed before!) and i asked her jokingly, "oh, is that a new purse???" but she didn't miss a beat and replied in a rather condescending manner, "it's not a PURSE, it's a BAG!" hahaha i love this woman so much...

I had to go look, I just counted 127 pair in my wife's secondary storage "area". I have been mislead as to what is "normal" and or "average", I think I might revist the discussion about how many bandsaws are "average"...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    ROTFLMAO!

I though I was the only one who brings a gouge into the kitchen and leaves it there..... Where did I leave my gouge? Honey?!?!?!? Have you seen my gouge?
    LOL! I thought I'm the only one who after searching for a tool for 20 minutes finally comes and ask her help. She would come to shop and look around for 2 minutes
    and says: "is this what you were looking for?!" It has happend countless number of times!