Thread: Have you blown out your sander lately ???

Have you blown out your sander lately ???

I have a Dewalt 421 that I have had for like 12 or 15 years and it has been a good little sander.

I did replace the pad and that made all the difference in the world, it sanded so much better.
    But it is a old sander and just was not picking up the dust in the bag like it used to but well I under stood that, it was old.

Well I put a new filter on my little shot air compressor and wanted to try it out, the sander was handy so I pick it up and started blowing it out.

WOW, I could not believe how much dust came out of it, from the top around the brushes and then when I hit the exhaust port it fogged the shop and just kept coming out with more and more every time I hit it with the air. After about 10 shots with 120 psi of air in the exhaust port I started blowing air back though the exhaust for the bag and more dust came out.

After I got all the dust out I then gave it a try and I could not believe how much better it picked up the dust and just generally sanded so much better then it had in the past.

So I guess what I am saying is, it may be time to blow the old sander out, you just may be really surprised how much better it sands.

Good advice, I need to get a new pad too.

Good advice indeed. I blow out all my tools and equipment regularly.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I do mine every time I empty the bag, outside of course-and always check which way the wind is blowing!

Every so often, I stick the leaf blower on the dust port of mine.
    Outside of course...

Wind direction doesn't matter - the leaf blower creates it's own weather pattern

Hmmm,,,,I wonder how many HVLP spray guns a leaf blower would support?

Blow mine every time it is used. "Course I'm just goofy like that.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Bill,

How true you are my friend! I just did this same thing about a month ago as I too had to replace the pad and I could not believe how much dust came out of there. It almost seemed like when I thought I was done, there was more to be blown out. It moves dust sooooo much better now that I've started doing this little "routine" with most of my power tools