Thread: Bountiful Weekend

Bountiful Weekend

The chainsaw and bucket of anchorseal got a bit of a workout this weekend. My buddy gave me a call this week to offer some wood he had just cut. The first load was 10 - 16" long x 20" across red oak chunks. The second load was smaller diameter between 16" - 10" across and a mixture of ash, beech, and soft maple. Yesterday morning I went to cut up a couple of birches at my neices place that the power company felled on Friday. I assume they were coming back on Monday to cut it up and haul it away, so wanted to beat them to it. Got everything chunked up yesterday and finished sealing it all this morning. Now it's time for the Jet's workout.

"LIFE IS GOOD!"
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Love that pile of chainsaw shavings.................nice haul Roland..........you will be up to your ears before long in curlees! Great pics!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Love that pile of chainsaw shavings.................nice haul Roland..........you will be up to your ears before long in curlees! Great pics!
    There's nothing better than shavings and curlies, Roger

What a haul Roland. Should be hours of fun there.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Great haul Roland, and a fine shop to play in too!

Well, so much for a roomy shop!! Roland, that sure is a nice haul, and an equally nice shop. Love the drafting table! Shame you can no longer get to it!

enjoy, Roland

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Well, so much for a roomy shop!! Roland, that sure is a nice haul, and an equally nice shop. Love the drafting table! Shame you can no longer get to it!
    Seems like no matter how big the shop is, it just ain't big enough. To lengthen my time on this earth, I do leave room for the LOML's car in the winter months.
    I need to use the "old-fashion" drafting table tomorrow, so the wood will be relocated in the morning.

Roland - congrats on all that wood!! Have to admit I am tired just looking at all that because I know the amount of work you had to put in! Have fun turning!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great assortment Roland! Sounds like you had, and will have, a good time! You might consider trying to spalt some of that birch if it doesn't have much color. I picked up a couple of large but plain pieces last week in Maine. I put a little strawberry yogurt on a couple ends yesterday(ate the rest) and then covered them with some leaves. I am hoping for bright red zone lines!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    Great assortment Roland! Sounds like you had, and will have, a good time! You might consider trying to spalt some of that birch if it doesn't have much color. I picked up a couple of large but plain pieces last week in Maine. I put a little strawberry yogurt on a couple ends yesterday(ate the rest) and then covered them with some leaves. I am hoping for bright red zone lines!
    I spalted some birch last year (with mixed results) I should have checked them more often, found out birch decays rather quickly. I've been known to be a bit gullible at times, but yogurt? I hope I haven't set myself up!!!!

Nice looking pile of blanks. I also notice some rectangular stock that looks like the straight grain of the pith slabs cut out which is something that I often do for spindle stock. People tend to not save some of the best wood. Now to get all of that rough turned, and even at 30 minutes per blank that is several hours (days) ahead of you. Good Luck.

Congrats on a great haul. Boy that ought to keep ya busy for a day or two.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.