Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Olive Burl bowl

Russian Olive Burl bowl

I scrounged through my wood pile and found this piece of Russian Olive burl that I'd forgotten about. This bowl ended up about 12 1/2" wide at the widest span, 10 1/2" at the narrow part, and about 4 1/2" tall. It's the first bowl I can remember putting a foot on like this. I like the way it sits the bowl up in the air a little. The wood is pretty soft and punky and has a lot of spots where little pieces just fell out. There's some parts of the edge with bark and some without. It's one of those where you can really feel the grain lines in the wood when you hold it. I put some danish oil on it to pop the color and then sprayed it with rattle can deft semi-gloss. I haven't buffed it yet. My usual crappy photography skills kind of hide how pretty this piece of wood is.
    Russian Olive burl bowl 1.jpgRussian Olive burl bowl 2.jpgRussian Olive burl bowl 3.jpgRussian Olive burl bowl 4.jpgRussian Olive burl bowl 5.jpg

Wonderful shape for a lovely piece of wood Curt. It looks very gracefull!

Wow Curt that is a beauty. Really like the shape/form. Really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I love the shape. You really did a great job on this piece and the grain is beautiful.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Curt, the ogee is one of my favorites, and you have used it well on this one! Great bowl, and that Russian olive sure has beautiful color.

I rarely like a footed bowl, but this one looks great..the bowl edges so wide that it needed the lift. Very appealing .
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Very nice! I love the dark wood! I think a photo from the top would really show off the natural edges!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

beautiful job ...

Curt,
    I probably enjoy seeing a piece of wood a non turner would consider firewood turned into such a shapely piece. This chunk was begging to be enhanced into the wonderful shape you made. Great eye for what was hiding inside this one.
    faust

Beautiful, Curt!...and I really like the foot!

very nice, Curt

That is one nice looking bowl Curt, How long did it take you to turn it? It seems delicate.

Wow - what a beauty! Love the form! That wild natural edge sure makes the piece unique!! Never been a big fan of a foot but it works with this piece! Thanks for sharing Curt!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That is an awesome natural edge bowl. The form really shows of the wood.

Alan

15. Curt, that's a beauty, I love it, natural edges are my favorite and this one's exceptional.