Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection riddle: Use 3 Onieda Dust Deputies and get 2x the suction!

Dust collection riddle: Use 3 Onieda Dust Deputies and get 2x the suction!

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD990003&CatId={6EE79B16-EB63-43E7-8F30-1E06240A24A4}
    axd990003_th.jpgaxd990003_2_th.jpg
    Can someone explain how adding 3 Dust Deputies and a large bin, likely 10 gallons or more of volume to a shop vac increases "suction"? I have been puzzling over this one. There is no explanation that I can find on the Oneida site other than instructions on how to gang these Dust Deputy units together into this Jules Verne/Rube Goldberg assembly functions. I don't want to pass judgment, it may work as advertised, but I don't see how.

Looking at the downloadable PDFs, I think the 2x suction comes from the presence of 2 bucket shop vacuum tops. looks like they are about $22 a piece. I bet this contraption would be loud!
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 03-07-2012 at 8:43 AM. Reason: more info

what is a bucket shop vacuum top?

Basically a shop vac top (where all the electrical stuff lives and hoses attach) designed to fit the 5 gallon buckets you can buy at the Borgs.

Anyone else see the irony in using Oneida stuff powered by a disposable vacuum that's probably as loud as can be and with a terrible filter?

Lipstick on a pig...................Regards, Rod.

Anyone have a good link? I can't seem to find the info.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Brochure here: http://tiny.cc/2Tuf2b

I guess it's aimed at a particular market Rod. I guess too that filtration and noise are deemed as being somebody else's problem.

Regrading the performance claims - it depends on how you choose to define 'suction', it's not really an engineering term. The dictionary definition is conveniently unclear: http://ardictionary.com/Suction/18260

So far as I know two fans in parallel will only generate the same suction (suction implies pressure drop to my mind) as a single fan. On the other hand they will deliver something approaching (but probably less than) double the air flow or CFM of a single fan - but with the proviso that it's not always regarded as wise to use the full pressure capability as it risks causing 'hunting' between the fans.

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 03-07-2012 at 1:00 PM.

Thanks Ian.

I wonder if there is a cheap HEPA filter for those type of vacs, you can get a Cleanstream for about $30 for most BORG available vacs, my BORGS actually have them so they don't even need to be ordered.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

It appears that the cylones and vacs are connected in parallel. Just guessing here, but I think they are claiming twice the suction because you can run two shop-vacs and realize more airflow from each vac than if you ran two vacs through the single Dust Deputy.

If you tried to pull twice the airflow through a single cyclone, your pressure drop would be 4X and cut your airflow down on the vac. Connecting the cyclones in parallel allows the airflow to be divided between all three cylones, reducing the pressure drop and enabling you to realize more CFM from the two vacs. As Ian said, the CFM of each vac will add. Cylones in parallel are slightly more efficient than a single cyclone capable of handling the same airflow, but not much. This seems like a lot of trouble for a dime, but maybe its a preferred alternative for some.

My thought was that I could get really big pneumatic casters for my shop vacs and put NASCAR stickers on the vac's. Then I would work on engine blower looking units for the tops of the vacs and those enormous mufflers that people put on little Honda cars for that StreetFire look. Vroomm. Chicks really dig hot rodded shop vacs!! I am edging towards 60 but what a joy to be back in high school.

Hell, we could put fifty of them in parallel and vacuum the race track dry!

Looks like something Lee Valley would put in their 1 April flyer!

This sure says volumes about Oneida engineering vs marketing!!! Of course this is the same company that came out with the so called "SMART" Dust Collector.

Now that is the type of corporate fusion thinking that will give you untold retirement options. Sears Craftsman shop vacs, Oneida milk jug micro cyclones, and other corporate tie-ins that could circle the track and "git er done" and dry. Not exactly the tarps at Wimbledon, but those champagne swilling, strawberry eat'n tennis snobs don't buy shop vacs or care a wit about who lives and dies at the end of a day of NASCAR.

I guess that sort of thinking hasn't done Dyson too much harm with their vacuum cleaners...

ian

It would be interesting to experiment with a mega-Dyson- put a half dozen or more Oneida or CV mini cyclones on a standard DC blower so you can get the CFM through-put and see what happens. I suspect the CFM though-put will be less than with a standard-sized cyclone and that the SP resistance would be much higher- kinda of a lose-lose situation.

But, if you could come up with a workable unit, the cost might be less than a big metal cyclone, and theoretically the velocity might be higher and result in better separation, then again . . . . .

Speaking of plastic cyclones- I am truly amazed that no one has come up with one made from molded or roto-molded PE or similar material. I would think once the initial cost of tooling was absorbed, you could pop out cyclone bodies quickly, easily, and inexpensively. Heck, it could be made just like a giant soda bottle.