Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a stationary edge sander typically replace a stationary belt sander?

Does a stationary edge sander typically replace a stationary belt sander?

I have a stationary disc/belt sander. I have never used the disc. There have been many times I think a stationary edge sander would have been nice to have. If I were to purchase one, is there much of a reason to also keep the belt sander?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

It did for me. I suspect it has a lot to do with what you use your sander for. But there was nothing I was doing with my belt/disc sander that I can't do with my edge sander and there's a lot I can do with my edge sander that I couldn't do with my belt/disc. I traded the belt/disc for a nice miter saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    It did for me. I suspect it has a lot to do with what you use your sander for. But there was nothing I was doing with my belt/disc sander that I can't do with my edge sander and there's a lot I can do with my edge sander that I couldn't do with my belt/disc. I traded the belt/disc for a nice miter saw.
    Matt - Which edge sander did you get? Are you happy with it?
    Regards,

Glen

I have never had a belt disc sander but I have used one before. To me the edge sander is much more useful. I also feel that there isn't anthing I can't do with my edge sander that I could with a belt disc combo. I purchased the Jet OES and love it. My only complaint is that the table is ground rougher than I would like but it sounds like my grind is standard.

I bought the Grizzly 6x80 with the laminate table. I have two complaints. First is that the table warped badly (common complaint) so I replaced it with one made from thick maple. Second, its not big enough--would love to have one with platen big enough for 42" tall doors. Overall its great though.

As Matt and Cary have mentioned the sdge sander will do pretty much anything a belt sander will and a whole lot more. What is your budget?

If you want the 42" platen like Matt does that usually means a 132" belt or more.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I haven't really considered how much I am willing to pay maximum, but have been looking at the JET. Being an Amazon prime member, there would be no charge for shipping. Size-wise I don't think I would need anything longer, but I am bit concerned about some of the reviews on Amazon's site. There seems to be a complaint about both the table height adjustment and angle adjustment.

http://www.amazon.com/708447-OES-80C...4582009&sr=1-4
    Regards,

Glen

Matt - Are you running your JET at 110 or 220? What size circuit do you have it on? The tech support guy at JET recommended a 40 amp circuit if run at 110 (which is what I will likely do). Wow...40 amps.
    Last edited by Glen Blanchard; 04-16-2012 at 2:16 PM.
    Regards,

Glen

I have the Grizzly, but running it on 110. Its only a 1.5HP motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I have the Grizzly, but running it on 110. Its only a 1.5HP motor.
    My mistake. Sorry. That question was meant for Cary. BTW, the JET is also only 1.5 HP.
    Regards,

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    I haven't really considered how much I am willing to pay maximum, but have been looking at the JET. Being an Amazon prime member, there would be no charge for shipping. Size-wise I don't think I would need anything longer, but I am bit concerned about some of the reviews on Amazon's site. There seems to be a complaint about both the table height adjustment and angle adjustment.

http://www.amazon.com/708447-OES-80C...4582009&sr=1-4
    Jet and Powermatic include liftgate delivery in their prices so it should be the same from anywhere. If you are not in a hurry you can wait until the next 15% off sale, the last one ended a few weeks ago. You may also want to call Toolnut they seems to beat others prices on a regular basis but I haven't ordered from them.

The Jet seems to be the best at the price point although it isn't perfect. You have to make a pretty sizable jump in price to make a huge difference.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I really wish everyon in the market for an OES could come look at my Vega OES. It is seriously one heck of a nice machine for the $$. The main platen is a ground steel I-beam with graphite overlay. It has a 6"X132" belt and you can buy some super nice belts from 3M for it. You can add a second side table to the other side, and end table for curved work, selectable curved platen for the other side, rally a ton of options. The seperate oscilating motor is a Baldor and the main motor is a 2hp Leeson the size of my 5hp baldors. Super nice and built in the USA in Decatur IL. Do yourself a favor and try and see one in perosn before buying the Jet/Griz/PM/Deltas. Best OES under $2K from all my research. Do a search on EBS-6 or vega woodworking. It is a serious machine. Looking at the website you would never guess - when you see it in person you know that it is the one to buy and you just save up for the difference in cost.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I am running mine on 120V. I am not sure if it is switchable over to 240V. The table height is a PITA but easily fixed with a 8" c clamp from HF
    DSC_0105-1.jpg.DSC_0104.jpgDSC_0103.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I am running mine on 120V. I am not sure if it is switchable over to 240V. The table height is a PITA but easily fixed with a 8" c clamp from HF
    Cary - Do you happen to know what size circuit its on?
    Regards,

Glen

It's on a 15A circuit and I usually have a TV and probably other stuff running without any problems