Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's happening at Epilog?

What's happening at Epilog?

When service is great, information on that service 'should' be lauded.
    In the same light, when service has failed, is lacking, or substantially changed it should also be noted ..
    In light of this, something has changed at Epilog!
    In January, I had to replace the failing display/control panel on my machine. I ordered a new one, and it took three days to arrive which is quite strange for Epilog. Last week, the new display failed. This was still under warranty so no problem. I sent a email to Epilog, which usually gets a response with-in a very short time.. After an hour with no reply, I went on line and filled out a service ticket. And waited...till the next day, no response. I sent another email, asking "are you shipping me a new display"...two hours later I received a phone call for my credit card info for the core deposit, then a email telling me they where phoning for that information. No problem... I sent back a email asking this:
    "Can you answer something for me.. In the past, when I had a problem warranty or otherwise, If I got in touch with Epilog by noon, I almost always had the part in my hands the following day, and my machine was back up in about 24 hours.. The last time it took 3 days to get the part, and this time it's taking 6-7 days! What happened?"
    I received This response: "We apologize for the delays in service and difficulty in reaching us the last few weeks. We had a few Technician leave us in the last two months and are new ones up to speed. We haven’t been able to provide the level of service that our customers are accustomed too and truly wish that wasn’t the case. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and rest assured, we will be back to providing the same level of service, in the same timely manner, very soon. "
    OK stuff happens... I sent a email and asked for a tracking number for the shipment.. No response...The next morning I send another email asking 'please' send me a tracking number.. Got a email with a tracking number but for what carrier? Sent another email.. The response was UPS sorry.....
    Then, i get a call from UPS.. it would seem Epilog sent my warranty replacement part by 'Standard' ups 6 day service and not marked as a warranty replacement which means
    I get hit with duty(maybe) & Taxes, and a $56.00 brokerage fee . Warranty
    replacements have always came express the next day, and were never subject to duty/taxes /brokerage fees. I sent a email to Epilog asking if I would be reimbursed for these costs..Got no response.. Sent a email saying It might be better for them to recall this ups shipment, and send me another display EXPRESS, so I would receive it Monday, without the import costs and hassles..I have never received a response to either of my last two emails.. And that's where it currently stands.. My machine will have been down for a week waiting for parts, that is if the parts arrive next Tuesday on schedule..
    This is an incredible drop in service standards for Epilog. Using the lowest rated service standard for international shipping, and the most aggravating part, is lack of response or even acknowledgment of emails. My machine is 8 years old, and will need replacement soon. Service is a LARGE part of the decision regarding what that replacement will be. I like my machine, and Epilog's service has always been outstanding. But something has definitely gone wrong at Epilog recently, and they better fix it soon. Having a machine, and all it's generated income go down for 6 days due to incredible poor shipping methods and response times is simply not acceptable. If you have a Epilog problem. Forewarned is forearmed
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Yikes! I sure hope your problems are an anomaly! Every day I brag about the fantasic service provided by Epilog. Like you said, that is their edge and without it....
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

You may want to contact Mike Dean and let him know what is happening, he has always been easy to deal with and cares about the customers.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

Bill,

I feel your pain.......my laser was going down weekly for almost a year, so I completely understand your frustration. Although it took a LONG time to figure out the problem, Epilog was fantastic at responding and sending out replacement parts. However, I ALWAYS call them on the phone rather than contacting them via e-mail. Since I haven't callled them in over a month, I haven't noticed a degradation in service recently. I wonder who left........I've called them so many times over the past two years that they're almost like family now......

And they really need a visable presence on here.......I know they read the threads, but it was nice when someone like Peck Sidera would chime in every once in awhile.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I sure hope it wasn't Brian or Ian that left. These guys were the best, even with the trickiest of problems.
    It surprizes me anyone left as Epilog is always in the list of best places to work in Colorado.

Service is what makes companies like Epilog & ULS stand out. Hopefully they'll be back up to speed before
    to long.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    I feel your pain.......my laser was going down weekly for almost a year, so I completely understand your frustration. Although it took a LONG time to figure out the problem, Epilog was fantastic at responding and sending out replacement parts.
    So your laser was down weekly for a year and their service was fantastic? I wouldn't call sending me parts out quickly for a year to solve a problem "fantastic" anything.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    I sure hope it wasn't Brian or Ian that left. These guys were the best, even with the trickiest of problems.
    It surprizes me anyone left as Epilog is always in the list of best places to work in Colorado.

Service is what makes companies like Epilog & ULS stand out. Hopefully they'll be back up to speed before
    to long.
    It was Brian DeNileon who sent me the "We apologize" message, and also the contact who is yet to reply to my last messages.. Hopefully all this will be sorted out shortly and Epilog gets back up to speed! I also want to make sure I'm reimbursed for these extra costs. Perhaps they have a new shipper, unfamiliar with international shipping of warrantied products? It's usually Dan who handles my problems, and in the past it was Peck, but if they have moved on, hopefully the new ones will be trained up to previous standards soon
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

It wasn't Ian. I talked to him late yesterday afternoon. I had installed a new lense I got from them (none warranty item, paid 2nd day air) and I had put the O ring in the wrong place, was throwing the focus off and affecting cutting 1/4 acrylic. (FYI the O ring goes on top of the curved part of the lense, not under the lense.) I had sent an e-mail earlier in the afternoon also with no response. I finally decided to call and got Ian on the first try. He looked up the e-mail and solved the problem straight away. I did notice that when I ordered the lense and a mirror and sent an e-mail, I didn't get a response, so I ended up calling. Prior, I have had excellant service with e-mail with the response time being very short.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post

to long.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

It might be a regional thing. When I was in the market for a machine I sent several requests to the rep for this area.
    Never got a call back so I went with universal..

These guys have been awesome to deal with when the rare problem pops up.
    ULS V460 Photograv Corel4 Compucarve

Update;
    I have just received a email from Brian at Epilog, and he has assured me that my extra costs for customs brokers/ups charges would be reembursed.. I had no doubt that they would make things right, I just wish it had been shipped in the normal fashion and my machine would be up and running properly now, instead of maybe sometime tomorrow.. Hopefully they have a handle on this to prevent future problems.. No one wants to lose multi-days of operation and resulting customer back logs because of shipping and communication problems.. Now, I just have to wait for the display panel to arrive..

Glad to hear it, Bill. I was worried that Epilog had undergone a permanent change that could seriously damage their rep and record. Peck used to monitor this forum, but we have not heard from him in a long time. They should really assign someone to stay in touch with their most loyal customers here at the Creek!

I hope it all works out well for you soon, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I was talking with Ian yesterday and asked him about this. He said they had lost some techs (including Dan) but had 3 new ones on board. Just takes a little time to get them up to speed he said. I am about to invest in my 2nd tube in 5 years. The first one was covered under warranty, but this one is 3 years old and I have gone through all of the troubleshooting exercises with Ian and he recommends a tube replacement. Am pulling out the tube today and getting it ready to ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Glad to hear it, Bill. I was worried that Epilog had undergone a permanent change that could seriously damage their rep and record. Peck used to monitor this forum, but we have not heard from him in a long time. They should really assign someone to stay in touch with their most loyal customers here at the Creek!

I hope it all works out well for you soon, dee
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

The replacement display came in, I installed it, but it had a problem. The screen was very dark. I emailed Brian, and he got back to me immediately, and sent another one Express. The first unit although very dark, the data is visible, the old one was totally blank. I wonder if it got a good ole UPS thump somewhere on route? At least until the second replacement arrives tomorrow, I can eliminate some of my backlog.

Still waiting for the replacement part for the replacement part. According to UPS it was again not marked as a warranty part, so I'm seeing if 'my' broker can clear it without the extra-extra charges, so hopefully it will be here tomorrow...I won't be able to install it until the weekend anyway, I have a load of glassware from China that just got cleared and is arriving tomorrow as well..The glass was supposed to arrive today on a straight truck, but they sent it on a 60' transport truck and there is no room in my yard to unload it..It's been one of those weeks!

Continuation - I had to purchase a new tube this week. I started the process on Tuesday after going through all the troubleshooting procedures with Ian at Epilog, he recommended a new tube (my current one was 3 years old). OK..so how much? Well $1395.00 plus the core charge deposit (heart in throat). Joe Pelonio had posted that if you send the tube prior to them shipping the new tube, they will waive the core charge. So, it turns out this is a great way to do it. First of all, it drops the price of the tube by $200 to $1195 for what they now call a Model A tube but you have to pay the shipping. So I pulled the tube, packed it up and shipped it second day air. I supplied Ian with the tracking number for the old tube. I assumed they would not ship until they received the old tube...nope..they would ship now with payment. OK, it's now Wednesday, I finalize the order and they tell me it will ship 2 day UPS (my account) and I will get it today (Friday). Yesterday morning, I do not have a tracking number and the money has not been taken from my account...hummm...so I call. Now this is what I liked, seems the tube HAD NOT GONE OUT because they had some processing problems with their system for payment. Solution- they shipped it NEXT DAY AIR at NO CHARGE! It is supposed to be here today as planned. Invoiced me for the $1195 and no more.
    Sometimes companies have problems. This happens, but how they react to solve the problem is what counts. I have owned an Epilog machine for almost 5 years now and they are still the best in my book when it comes to tech support and service.