Thread: Mimosa wood

Mimosa wood

I have been offered some mimosa wood. It was cut down and to log
    length (3 ft) 6-8 months ago. Free is it worth $20 for gas round trip.
    Any pros or cons.

Grab it. From what I've seen, it's beautiful stuff.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

A friend gave me a chunk of wet and pretty mimosa. I rough turned it with no problems but when I remounted it after it was dry....problems. I found it difficult to get it turned between sneezes!!

I have never turned mimosa but have seen some nice items made from it. Around here you try to kill mimosas as soon as they come up so not a lot of big trees here now.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

What Wally said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Miner View Post
    What Wally said.
    If you guys are sneezing and coughing...what failed respiratory protection are you wearing?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

7. Just make sure that you use respiratory protection............mimosa is pretty, but can really cause respiratory issues, you never know if you are one of the ones who will have a severe reaction to it..........until you have already exposed yourself to the wood while turning it..............just be careful!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

First and foremost, I would need a guarantee that the ends of those logs have been properly sealed and you're going to be able to get check free blanks out of it. As for Mimosa itself, I didn't have a great time turning the few pieces I have, for sinus reasons along with it being a pain to sand. But, it did result in some of the most beautiful bowls I've ever turned. It can be stunning wood.

+1 on respiratory issues
    +1 on beautiful wood
    It is also very stable (almost as stable as mesquite) but not so much that it can be left in log form without sealer for 6 - 8 months.

I always turn wet wood, and mimosa, the last time I turned it, and the last time I ever turned it got me a bit congested. Enough warning for me to see the light. It is a legume with seed pods, like the locust trees, red bud and a few others. They can cause respiratory problems. Pretty wood, feels lighter weight than it looks. I didn't have problems sanding it, but then I use the LDD (liquid dish washing detergent) soak and it sanded out fine.

robo hippy

Love mimosa. Great turning wood. I just wear my respirator.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.