Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short Bench Chisels

Whoever sent the Ashley Isle butt chisels a good while back, they worked great for me. I cleaning up some mortise sockets and the length of the entire tool and the work was all in the same sight and alignment window of my glasses.

They really are to short to pare with but with a good edge a tap with my palm is all the was needed to clean everything except the corners.

The reason they are called "butt" chisels is because they were originally for cutting mortises for hinge butts for hanging doors. When cleaning out the top of the bottom hinge mortise, or bottom of the top hinge mortise in the jamb, a normal length bench chisel is too long to easily tap. I only keep a 2" 60 for this purpose. I don't like butt chisels for any other purpose, unless you absolutely need a short one.

More modern Stanley 40s have great steel in a little longer chisel, or at least to me, but I don't really like a steel cap for hitting with a mallet, even though I mainly use a urethane Wood is Good.

I have most of a set of Berg chisels and love them. Don't buy them though. I hate competition for the few remaining ones.😁