Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crazy Thought !!! Window AC vented to Garage from Insulated shop ?? HELP !!

Not a go/no-go but recognize that what you are "paying for" (electricity) is affected by the difference in temperature between the cold and warm room. However you choose to do it, you'll want to keep the garage as cool as reasonably possible. One option would be to use the AC to dump the heat from the shop into the garage and then use a good-sized exhaust fan to keep the garage as close to outside temperature as possible.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Pull the top window sash down to dump hot air and I'll bet you there.

another factor to consider
    is the uninsulated garage warmer than the outside during the summer?
    or cooler
    I have been in some garages that just bake in the heat
    Carpe Lignum

I have done this, exactly, in my workshop and garage here in the desert in West Texas and it works well. I just open the garage door a foot to help to keep the garage from getting too hot.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Thanks so much everyone !!
    I may indeed give this a try. Our garage area is open to the vented rafters and there are also 3 windows in there that can be opened. For sake of ease, I may give it a try for this summer and see what the electric $$$ looks like and how well it does. We are only at .08 here per KWH, so may not be too bad.
    Thanks Again,
    Brad

Not to be thick, but how hot does the Insulated space get without the AC?

AC dehumidifies at the same time, which may be beneficial. Is your shop humid?
    If not, a "swamp cooler" will do, and won't generate waste heat.

When I put my window unit between my shop and my garage part of my garage I noticed the info that came with the unit said it cost so much a year to run. It seems like a small amount to me. I think it was pretty accurate because I noticed no real change in my elect bill.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I am going to ask a similar question. My shop is about 40 feet long and 12 to 16 feet wide with 12 foot ceilings. The most often used tools are in the center. I have a window that looks out onto a covered car port. I would like to put a 14000 btu window unit in the window. I already have the 220 there. But, it would be blowing the hot air out onto the covered car port and about 3 feet from the AC would be the side of my van. The other 3 sides of the car port are open.

What do you think? Is this AC big enough? How about blowing the hot air onto the side of my van?

I have a shop 40x 30 x12 and use a 12000 btu
    it holds the shop below 80 on the hottest weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Tutterrow View Post
    I am going to ask a similar question. My shop is about 40 feet long and 12 to 16 feet wide with 12 foot ceilings. The most often used tools are in the center. I have a window that looks out onto a covered car port. I would like to put a 14000 btu window unit in the window. I already have the 220 there. But, it would be blowing the hot air out onto the covered car port and about 3 feet from the AC would be the side of my van. The other 3 sides of the car port are open.

What do you think? Is this AC big enough? How about blowing the hot air onto the side of my van?
    Carpe Lignum

"I am going to ask a similar question. My shop is about 40 feet long and 12 to 16 feet wide with 12 foot ceilings. The most often used tools are in the center. I have a window that looks out onto a covered car port. I would like to put a 14000 btu window unit in the window. I already have the 220 there. But, it would be blowing the hot air out onto the covered car port and about 3 feet from the AC would be the side of my van. The other 3 sides of the car port are open.
    What do you think? Is this AC big enough?

That depends how cool is cool enough for you. The basic residential rule of thumb is 400 sq/ft per ton of cooling (12,000btu), based on an 8' ceiling.
    That would put you shop load at about 15,000btu IF it had an 8' ceiling, With 12' ceiling figure approx 50% more or 24,000btu, the equivalent of 2 tons. Of course a working shop generates much more heat than a residential environment does so that increases the capacity needed also.
    So, is the 14,000btu unit properly sized? No. Will it give you any relief? Yes, it will do some cooling and some dehumidifying, it just depends how much is enough for you...
    T

I should add that in my application I had was mainly for dehumidification
    So any cooling is an added plus.
    Carpe Lignum

I am looking at the 80 to 95 degree summer here in missouri with humidity close to 100%. I would like to cool the air to 75-80 with humidity down around 30% or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Tutterrow View Post
    I am looking at the 80 to 95 degree summer here in missouri with humidity close to 100%. I would like to cool the air to 75-80 with humidity down around 30% or less.
    You also need to consider building type, insulation and any air leaks in to load factoring to figure out what size system you'll need to accomplish effective cooling/dehumidifying.