Thread: More than one way to skin a caster!

More than one way to skin a caster!

Needed some 3 inch swivel casters for a small project. I usually use locking casters but that wasn't a requirement for this job.
    Went to Northern Tool today where I found these casters for $4.99 each:

Casters $4.99 ea Item 189911

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...atchallpartial

Then I remembered something I saw at NT a few days ago and checked and found this item which had the identical casters and all the mounting hardware:

Hardwood dolly $11.99 ea Item 001880

why do the wheels cost 4.99 each but only 3.00 each if they installed them to the dolly ?

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    why do the wheels cost 4.99 each but only 3.00 each if they installed them to the dolly ?
    When you can answer that you are ready to be the CEO of a retail company...

I had never thought of pulling the casters off a dolly but NT and HF have dolleys on sale all the time... Thanks, I will use that info at some point no doubt!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    When you can answer that you are ready to be the CEO of a retail company...

I had never thought of pulling the casters off a dolly but NT and HF have dolleys on sale all the time... Thanks, I will use that info at some point no doubt!
    if I am not quaipfied to be OEC , how can I be a CEO ? I heard of freinds that try to buy a live turkey for thanksgiving once and the farm added a sub charge to the price, maybe betweem 10 or 20 percent

It’s all about volume when it comes from China.

Blog Entries
    They lose money on every sale but make it up in volume!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    They lose money on every sale but make it up in volume!
    Famous last words of any bean-counter!

Jay has it right in the end.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Can't speak to the NTs, but don't bother on the HFs. HF dollies don't have casters on them. They have caster shaped rocks that neither roll nor swivel. I bought a HF dolly for $11.99. Didn't move with just a 60lbs generator on it. Ended up spending another ~$40 to buy casters that actually worked from TSC to put under the dolly.

Famous last words of any bean-counter!
    That is, or at least was, Amazon's business model for years. They lost money on every sale but made it up on volume. By expanding their customer base and plunging rapidly into new markets, they were increasing their market cap like crazy. This Enhanced Shareholder Value and therefore made the guys at the top rich. As long as the stock price kept rising, they didn't need to make a profit on sales. Of course, to keep from hemorrhaging cash too quickly, they have some of the worst working conditions in the US. Much more like something you'd expect in Southeast Asia rather than the Mid West.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Williams View Post
    Can't speak to the NTs, but don't bother on the HFs. HF dollies don't have casters on them. They have caster shaped rocks that neither roll nor swivel. I bought a HF dolly for $11.99. Didn't move with just a 60lbs generator on it. Ended up spending another ~$40 to buy casters that actually worked from TSC to put under the dolly.
    Although I wouldn't plan to use them often in that capacity I actually moved both a 800 pound bandsaw and a 750 pound drum sander on a pair of HF cheap HF dollys. It is probably a case of me buying from just the right lot, the ones they got in the next week probably couldn't hold a feather without failing.

Am I missing something? The casters you mention (item 189911) are $3.99, not $4.99, and they are different casters than depicted on the item 001880 dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by larry cronkite View Post
    Needed some 3 inch swivel casters for a small project. I usually use locking casters but that wasn't a requirement for this job.
    Went to Northern Tool today where I found these casters for $4.99 each:

Casters $4.99 ea Item 189911

Then I remembered something I saw at NT a few days ago and checked and found this item which had the identical casters and all the mounting hardware:

Hardwood dolly $11.99 ea Item 001880

The first caster you linked is a steel-wheeled caster with a maximum load rating of 1000 lbs. The dolly you linked has casters with hard rubber wheels. The maximum load rating of the dolly is 1000 lbs. or 250 lbs. per caster. I've been shopping for 3" casters and decided on these.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...2&site=ROCKLER