Thread: Any ideas where to cheap caulk in bulk? (Needs to be colored)

Any ideas where to cheap caulk in bulk? (Needs to be colored)

I am doing some work on screen shelters at a Boy Scout camp. The shelters were built in 1946 with logs and a machined lumber roof along with wood siding on one end. Framing was added for screening at some point since 1946. There are various gaps in the siding and such. Scout leaders keep stuffing paper, cardboard, and duct tape in these gaps in a misguided effort to keep bugs out. The reality is 99% of the bugs come in the door when boys go in and out all the time. All you hear all day long when the boys are in the camp site is the screen door slamming. The gaps are fairly narrow for the most part.

Anyhow, I would like to caulk as many of these gaps as possible so adults quit stuffing junk into them. The gaps are inside so the quality of the caulk is not really an issue as long as it doesn't shrink and fall out. Any ideas where to get get cheap caulk that is colored cedar, dark red, or brown? I would be happy to use surplus caulk. I don't want to use white as it sticks out like a sore thumb. The other thing I would is to find caulk in the larger tubes if possible like used for construction adhesive.

The cheapest I have found so far is to order some cedar colored caulk from Menards for $1.97 a tube in a case of 12.

How many cases of 12 do you think you will need?

I'm thinking I may need two cases. Although, I might get tired of caulking before then unless I get battery operated caulk gun. I would really like to get caulk in the larger tubes if possible.

It might be best to just order from Menards and be done with it since the cost isn't that high.

In that case, I'd use a paintable (NOT silicone) clear caulk. I've used thousands of tubes of caulk in my career and have never seen it in the larger size, only the 10.1 oz tubes. It will go on a translucent white, but will dry clear. The next time the place gets painted or stained, it will get covered. The clear may be a bit shinier than the wood around it, but unless you pay huge bucks to get a custom color-matched caulk, the off-the-shelf-"pretty close" color will stick out like a sore thumb.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Having done volunteer work with scouts and local soccer organizations before, I have found that if you ask for the owner of a non-borg hardware or paint store they will often give you a great deal or even donate to the cause.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

The buildings have never been painted or stained so far as I know. If they have been it was a long time ago. There no plans to paint/stain that I know of. What little siding they have is cedar and there are very long overhangs that keep things dry. I'm just trying to not have the caulk stick out like a sore thumb. I have attached a photo of the exterior of one of these screen shelters. The caulk will mostly go inside, not outside.

I'll try a local hardware store.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Check out "Log Jam". Its a different procedure but on large areas will be cheaper than tubes and lasts a very long time.

Larry