Thread: Vintage Stanley 750 and LN bench chisel handles

Vintage Stanley 750 and LN bench chisel handles

Will some kind soul let me know if the LN chisel handle is a close copy of the vintage Stanley #750 chisel handle?

Do the handles vary in size as the blades get wider? I have a bunch of Stanleys and they all appear to be the same size, so I am just checking. I have used the LN chisels on several occasions, but do not own any. I do own a set of the Stanleys.

If possible, a photo or two of the same size Stanley and LN would be much appreciated.

All will be revealed in due course

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,
    My Stanley use the same handle from 1/8 to 1 inch and then they are bigger from 1 1/4 on up. The LN use the same handle for all except the 1 inch, it is a little bigger. Interestingly, the smaller LN handle feels very similar in the smaller Stanley handle, however, the part goes in the socket is smaller on the LN than on the Stanley. Even, the 1 inch LN handle is smaller at the socket although the rest of the handle on the 1 inch is bigger and you can see this in a photo where show all three below. The LN start at about .500 at the top of the socket portion and .270 at the tip. The Stanley is .564 tapering to about .340. These measurements are hard to take at the tip since they taper but the LN is definitely smaller. The smaller LN is about 1.11 at the widest point you hold and about the .627 at the "waist", that narrow part where it flares to meet the top of the socket. The corresponding Stanley measurements are 1.11 and .701 at the waist. Pic two shows the 1 inch and a Stanley, pic 4 shows the standard LN and a Stanley. They are the same but I took to photos because I assumed they were different since the rest of the handle on the 1 inch was bigger, however the LN handles are interchangeable when I mixed them around. A LN is definitely too small for a Stanley socket. Hope this helps.
    cheers
    Pat
    IMG_3468.jpgIMG_3471.jpgIMG_3469.jpgIMG_3470.jpgIMG_3472.jpg

Thanks Pat! That is as detailed a reply as I could have hoped for.

What a beautiful set of Stanleys!!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    DSC07237s.JPGDSC07236s.jpg

Derek,
    The second picture contains chisels that are all 750,s except for the Lie Nielsen on the right. They are all 1" except for the 3/4" chisel on the left. As you can see. the handles are all different. The chisel next to the Lie Nielsen is the chisel I keep on my bench at all times.

The chisels in the first picture are all stanleys, but not 750's. The paring chisel came to me with a broken handle, so I cut it off and shaped it like the L/N. It is 1" and really sweet to use. The wide chisel is 2". These chisels might say "D" or just Stanley. I don't see much difference in quality.

I admire the handles you have made and think they will be a treasure to use. I'm not sure any uniformity can be detected , but you can see that my bench chisel has a handle not unlike the L/N.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-29-2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: spelling