Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbide turning tools: Harrison specialities?

Yesterday I had written a long post here, but my login got dropped. I agree with all the posters on this thread. I'm hoping that this doesn't mean carbide tools should not be used in favor of gouges, scrapers, and skews. I consider myself to be an experienced rookie. I don't turn all the time because I have another hobby that's also time consuming-music. I just ordered the Harrison 4 carbide tool set. I've been using a couple of the beginner carbide tools and really like them. I did watch the Harrison demo video on their website and my initial reaction was Wow--that tool really can work fast. However, I then asked myself it working fast is what I really want to do. I enjoy watching the curls peel off when using a gouge just as I do with a hand plane. Also, I've found that when I try to rush something, I usually make some mistakes. I like the invention of the carbide tools, but I won't be using them exclusively. I'm down to just a mini lathe now since we've moved to a smaller place. The carbide tools do work well with a mini lathe and I haven't ever used my long and strong gouges with it that I used to use for bowl. I did just also order a bedan tool after seeing a guy turn an egg on a youtube. For me trying new and learning new is really a lot of fun. There's room in the turning realm for all types of tools, IMO.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Carbide tools are just another tool...no different than a gouge or a skew. You will typically find people don't use them because they don't like new things. Automatic transmissions and air conditioning are new things respectively. Learn to use all of your tools well and in what circumstances it could\should be used. The more tools you use well...the better turner you become. Then you can learn to debate the "I can only afford two turning tools" argument.

Okay, scrapers again, I have to comment. I learned to use scrapers out of curiosity. What do those that know how to use them know that I don't know..... I learned scrapers before the carbide tipped tools came out. Two differences between carbide and standard scrapers. One is that you don't sharpen the carbide tips. They can be touched up a bit, but are designed to use, rotate a time or 3, and toss them away. The standard scrapers are very easy to sharpen. The other difference is that generally the carbide tipped tools have smaller cutting surfaces than standard scrapers, which makes them easier to control. That ease of use is only a matter of using the standard scrapers for an hour or two. Like any tool, if you stick too much of it into the wood at one time, you stall the motor, or the tool gets yanked out of your hands if you don't have a proper grip. Well, maybe a third difference, standard scrapers are easier to do a bevel rubbing cut with than the carbide tipped tools. Go to You Tube and type in robo hippy. I have one clip up where I turn a bowl with just scrapers. Learning to use gouges and scrapers is as important as learning how to sharpen.

robo hippy

I agree. There is a learning curve for all tools. I find it very interesting to watch different turners use a single tool for so many different things because they have learned to use that particular tool so well. I guess we all have our "standbys" that we reach for the most often. One of mine is an oval shaped skew. I just made my first Christmas bird house ornament from a kit. With the square carbide scraper I was able to turn a 1/8th inch perch peg 1" long with a small filial on one end. This the first time that I've ever turned something that small and I was surprised that it was even possible. I did a lot of pens this Christmas and I think that's about as small as I would like to go for most of the time.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

I own a few carbide tools but mostly use the roughing tool some for roughing. Carbide tips stay sharper longer--true. It also stays sorta sharp and almost sharp longer also. I like to be able sharpen a tool when I need a sharp tool without spending 22$ for sharp. I power hone to 1200 grit when I need it for problem woods. It's hard to duplicate good gouge performance with anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Carbide tools are just another tool...no different than a gouge or a skew. You will typically find people don't use them because they don't like new things. Automatic transmissions and air conditioning are new things respectively. Learn to use all of your tools well and in what circumstances it could\should be used. The more tools you use well...the better turner you become. Then you can learn to debate the "I can only afford two turning tools" argument.
    Got to agree with Jim. I am always exploring different grinds and shapes. I have played with quite a few brands,I find they work for me when turned on angles and shear cut, or dropping the handle down and pulling the edge on the under side of a rim. One of our clubs turners ( nationally known) and uses gouges extensively use to laugh at the thought of using a carbide scraper, now uses them to take out the center of bird houses and boxes. Trues up the inside quickly. Bottom line it is just another tool in the arsenal. I must say I would never give up my gouges. I did make a carbide parting tool from a 10" saw blade. I get about 4 per blade depending on the number and grind of the teeth. They work well, stay sharp, and remove wood quickly, but it is just another way to get things done.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I have limited experience with carbide tools, but found they work well, like any sharp scraper. I use the Bedan Tool and have a round nose scraper that i like to use as well. They seem to work as well as the carbide as long as are sharp. They are easy to make on your own if you have a source of high speed steel bars.

Carbide is just the metal, but in this instance it is the style of tools as well.

Most carbide tools are scrapers and will work the same as HSS scrapers, just that the edge will stay sharper longer. If it has a flat top. it is a scraper. If it has a gullet (sort of a flute) then it acts as a cutter. Nothing wrong with either, but a flat top doesn't work like a gouge, but a gullet cutter does, sort of. With a 1/2" gouge, you have a flute that ejects the chips, and with a carbide cutter, like a Hunter, you have a flute (the gullet) that ejects the chips as well. The issue is it isn't as deep which means you can't take as aggressive a gut as if it were a gouge.

I sell Hunter tools and use both gouges and carbide tools, but the carbides will not work the same as a HSS tool in regards to how big of a bite you can take. As a finishing tool, the Hunters work fantastic, but that is in relation to a gouge. You can get the same results from a gouge, and I feel you should learn to use them first. The learning curve is steeper, but the results are better, as the knowledge of tool handling that will guide through the future.
    The Easy Wood and other flat top cutters/scrapers are designed to allow entry level turners to cut wood without the heartache of catches and issues related to learning to use a gouge. If they get easy entry they will more likely stick with the hobby. It isn't to say the flat top scrapers don't work, they do, but in most hands don't allow the same type of finish a gouge will.
    Steve Worcester

TURNINGWOOD

Bob, your parting tool sounds interesting. How about expanding on that concept.

Chris, I,m just up the road in Grafton. I,m no turning expert but I,ve been been assulting trees for a few years. If you want to stop by and talk chisels or what ever send me a PM. Bring a coat, its cold out in my shop now.

dave

I received my tools yesterday. The handle is too big for a mini lathe, IMO, so I just ordered the pen tool handle which has the same size handle hole. don't know what I'll do with the long and strong handle that came with the 4 tool set. Within the next week, I'm going to list some lathe tools for sale that I bought and then didn't use very often or some not at all. Maybe I'll put the long handle up for sale with them.
    Project Salvager

Stan, you do realize that the day after you sell the big handle, you will need it. Happens every time......

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Bob, your parting tool sounds interesting. How about expanding on that concept.
    I bought an Irwin 10" blade on sale at Menard's( you could use an old blade). I used a sawsall to cut two parallel lines lacross the blade keeping in mine that the carbide needs to be on that same plane. You could reshape the carbide tooth with a CBN wheel or rough diamond hone. When done it should have one tooth that is in line with the shank of the tool. I epoxy a handle on the opposite end.
    Here is a picture of the blade prior to cutting it up. The " x " is the removal of excess teeth.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brilliant and very original. Question--would the tool be more stable if you left the lower tooth and cut away above it perhaps. I've been wanting to make such a tool but wasn't smart enough to figure out your method.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Brilliant and very original. Question--would the tool be more stable if you left the lower tooth and cut away above it perhaps. I've been wanting to make such a tool but wasn't smart enough to figure out your method.
    Don't think it would make much difference. I just adjust the edge till it cuts. I am surprise there aren't commercial versions. It cuts beautifully square fillets or square bottom grooves. No burning, because carbide is wider than blade. I have made them from 7 1/4" blades, which are thinner yet, but can't be as long because of blade size.