Thread: Alaska Refrigeration Co. Miter Box

Alaska Refrigeration Co. Miter Box

Found this folding miter saw box at a antique store in North East Ohio. It was made by the Alaska Refrigeration Co. ( Odd name for a miter box manufacture) I had never seen one before but see two or three on e-bay right now. The ones on e-bay say it should have a brass rod to keep the box from folding in use. Anyone know the size of the rod and how it was held in place for storage? The storage slot on my miter box has an eye hook screwed into it. (I guess to hang for storage) Any idea on date of mfg. ? Any other info?

IMG_0953_1.jpgIMG_0954_2.jpg
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 04-21-2012 at 7:48 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I never saw this version that I recall before today, the eye bolt or eye screw might be install so the you could hang the box off of your belt, this would placed it it at your side always, can you explain the center upright piece in more detail for me

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    I never saw this version that I recall before today, the eye bolt or eye screw might be install so the you could hang the box off of your belt, this would placed it it at your side always, can you explain the center upright piece in more detail for me
    The eye bolt has a price tag on it from a Hardware. So the eye bolt is newer. The one I saw on line looks to be a storage hole for a brass rod. What is the "Center upright piece" you refer to? The center is made of wood and has adjustable saw guides screwed to the top. In the one photo the sides are folded up. The sides and the center has a hole drilled through it so a brass rod inserted makes it ridged.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 04-21-2012 at 9:16 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    The sides and the center has a hole drilled through it so a brass rod inserted makes it ridged.
    That must be the hole at the 45º saw guide area.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Dave, no pun intended but the center upright is in the center and upright when the two sides fall down

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That must be the hole at the 45º saw guide area.

jtk
    Yes it is. You can see the hole on the right fold down and in the center piece just under the 45 degree guide. One can see how a rod is inserted to hold it rigid.

Do an e-bay search for a "Folding miter box" to see some photos of another unit. I guess the $4 I paid was not a bad price.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 04-21-2012 at 10:19 PM.
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Found this folding miter saw box at a antique store in North East Ohio. It was made by the Alaska Refrigeration Co. ( Odd name for a miter box manufacture) I had never seen one before but see two or three on e-bay right now. The ones on e-bay say it should have a brass rod to keep the box from folding in use. Anyone know the size of the rod and how it was held in place for storage? The storage slot on my miter box has an eye hook screwed into it. (I guess to hang for storage) Any idea on date of mfg. ? Any other info?

IMG_0953_1.jpgIMG_0954_2.jpg
    The Alaska Freezer Company was based in Winchendon, Massachusetts and began in 1902. Their main line was manufacturing hand-cranked ice cream makers. After some mergers and investment groups, they still exist in some form as White Mountain Freezer.

The Gem Folding Miter Box was sold by J.C. McCarty & Co, New York at least by 1909. How and when they became associated with the Alaska Freezer Company, unfortunately I don't know.

Not sure what diameter the rod should be, but I'd just try sticking drill bits into the hole until one fits.

There are several on ebay right now - and there's 2 in really cool original boxes.

Got a box like that in my miter box accumulation. It is marked "Gem" or "Perfection" or something similar.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

That's a keeper all right.

This would make a GREAT! Lee Valley item. A kit where all the metal parts were supplied and the wood components made in the shop.
    I think it is a cool tool to have in the Neanderthal tool box.
    - Rick Dale