Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chest of Drawers - G&G Inspired

That looks great! I especially like the top / second drawer design.

Wow. Just wow. I am not worthy to stand in your shadow.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Are the top drawers functional and can you post some photos of the top drawers and their construction. Very nice design

Howard Boehm
    Pictures of Projects can be seen by clicking on My Profile and then Clicking on Howard Boehm's Home Page.

Tools: I would rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Boehm View Post
    Are the top drawers functional and can you post some photos of the top drawers and their construction. Very nice design
    The top drawers are shallow and reserved for the things that usually get tossed on top of my old dresser. Here's some shots from earlier in construction:

CoD Top Drawer (4).jpg . CoD Top Drawer (5).jpg . CoD Top Drawer (7).jpg . CoD Top Drawer (8).jpg

I got a little better overall shot but, the flash still makes the drawer colors appear more different than they look to the non-flash-enable human eyeball There is a marked shift in the look as you move past it. Freeze-framing this as a novice doesn't yield a real good pic but, you get the general idea . In this shot you can see a semi-hidden detail; the pulls are taken in order, top to bottom, from a single board.

CoD-Finished-9.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-16-2012 at 12:29 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That came out awesome glenn! I love the shape of the drawers and drawer divider at the top. You executed this detail to perfection. And I'm always a fan of proud through joinery, adds a great detail. Which is why I love G&G furniture design.

Beautiful chest of drawers !

Any idea how many hours you have into your project Glen ?

I love walnut and anything Greene & Greene.

I'm working on a similar personal project in butternut. Not as much detail but it is my best effort.
    IMG_0303.jpgIMG_0305.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Hawkins View Post
    Any idea how many hours you have into your project
    First of all, that is a lovely piece. As to number of hours? Hmmm, hard to say since I was making this one for myself and so, it got pushed to the side for any other work going on. Several months of weekends anyway but, I do get obsessive on the details .

– Samuel Butler

Very nice. Thanks for the final round of pictures. Love the attention you gave to the back side. I wouldn't want to put it against a wall. Thanks for the pictures on the drawer details. From the first picture, I was wondering how you fabricated the divider. Looks like regular 4/4 stock, true?
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 04-14-2014 at 9:40 PM.

glenn, I didn't get to see this when you first posted it. It's a wonderful piece. I especially like the top drawer divider and drawers and the interlocking elements. Also, the side stiles are so charmingly bold. Have you noticed the width of the stiles causing any separation of the top or bottom trim from movement or are the interlocks secured ? Clearly, it's a solid, well-made piece of furniture with style galore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    glenn, I didn't get to see this when you first posted it. It's a wonderful piece. I especially like the top drawer divider and drawers and the interlocking elements. Also, the side stiles are so charmingly bold. Have you noticed the width of the stiles causing any separation of the top or bottom trim from movement or are the interlocks secured ? Clearly, it's a solid, well-made piece of furniture with style galore.
    Thanks Yonak. I used the same approach you would for a solid panel glue up for the sides. With the wide 'cloud lift' parts and the bridged piece that connects them at the top and the bottom, it is essentially a large panel. It is glued at the front and screwed from inside at the middle (short slot for movement) and the rear (longer slots for movement). This is similar to allowing for movement with a solid side and web frames. At the front corners the trim (if you mean the wide finger-joined pieces) is again glued at the front couple inches and is what the fasteners screw into through the stiles from inside.

SMC-cod-question.jpg

This construction (and other methods like it) keep things aligned at the front while the panels are allowed to move. There is a bit of easement at the rear to accept the expansion and the front trim, drawer to frame relationships and so forth stay looking consistent throughout the year.

– Samuel Butler

Excellent .. well thought-out. That chest is a treasure.

Spectacular! I love the G&G aesthetic and you nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Williamson View Post
    Spectacular! I love the G&G aesthetic and you nailed it.
    I echo the thoughts expressed by many here Glenn, that is outstanding work. What is your procedure for creating the handle detail? It looks great - its very well proportioned.