Thread: Countersunk face-nailing on flooring

Countersunk face-nailing on flooring

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask, feel free to redirect me.

I'm wanting to re-do my kitchen floor and I'm thinking about doing some custom parquet (I've got A LOT of time on my hands)

There are some floors in town that I know of which appear to be face-nailed boards, but with the face nails countersunk, and the countersunk hole filled with a cut plug. The floors I've seen like this aren't parquet, but the plugs add a nice look to the floor, and I'd think if a slightly dissimilar wood was used for the plugs you'd get a really lovely contrast.

Is there a specific name for this kind of floor attachment (the face fastener with plug over it)? I'm trying to do some research to find out if there are any special considerations needed for installation (beyond what is generally required for any hardwood/parquet), cutting the plugs, etc, but I can't really find any good descriptions of this style.

Thanks!

I think you would more commonly find that these floors are face screwed rather than nailed. There isnt a lot to it in that you are simply using a drill and countersink and then plugging your holes after screwing. Its somewhat common in wider plank floors as opposed to narrow plank or strip flooring. It allows for a little simpler milling techniques for the T&G in that you dont really need the tongue and groove geometry commonly used for flooring which incorporates a rounded tongue, back relief, beveled top edge, and nail groove. You could run a simple T&G or simply groove all your material and use splines or use a ship lap.

What will more than likely occur though is you will have a bit of a "looser" floor than a conventionally laid floor. This is because the toe nailing of a conventional floor drives the boards tightly together. This wont be the case with the face nailed. You can pry/shove the boards together as tightly as you want but the screws running straight into the subfloor are not holding each course tight to the last. If you dont mind this, and like the look of the plugs, your fine.

In order to screw and plug your floor (the plugs are known as bungs) you will need a plug cutter, and a matching counter sink

13D18.jpg

hopefully a drill press to cut the plugs (doing it with a hand drill can be very frustrating if not nearly impossible) a good sharp chisel to pair the bung heads off cleanly (this you will do on your hands and knees over many many hours ) and if you haven't ever done this - you will want to practice a dozen or so times to see what you are really up against.

I have done a few floors like this and yes they look nice if done properly but my oh my, that really isn't enough of a compelling reason unless you just love the look and have lots of extra time to lay your floor (or a being paid very well ).
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I suspect that the plugged appearance may be factory done and the flooring is just plain tongue and groove.

I suspect that the floors you've seen with the plugged screw holes may have at one time been really squeaky. Screwing down is a common way to fix noisy floors. It's also a quick and effective way of doing repairs when old boards need to be removed.