Thread: cherry burl hollow form

cherry burl hollow form

I roughed this out before I started the shop project. It was very dry and I was wanting a challenge. It was a BIG challenge. For the first time while hollowing I felt the NEED for a full face shield, and some body armor. I ended up a little thinner than I like but I had tool marks to get out. It is Cherry burl and sanded to 600 grit. I finished it with wood turners finish and buffed with EEE. I need to hand sand a couple spots inside and then was thinking of some walnut oil for the inside finish. Any thoughts on that?. Thanks for the help. As always comments are welcome, good or bad. Russell.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Russell Eaton; 04-24-2012 at 9:06 AM.

You love to live dangerously, Russell. Glad you came through that one uninjured. What are the dimensions of the piece? No opinion on walnut oil for the inside - you could pretty much get away with whatever you want in there. I like the form in the second picture - nice roof line and porch light. The cherry thing looks nice too. ;^}
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

Very nice HF. The profile pic reminds me of a pagoda. Looks like it took the nerves of a samauri to complete this one as well! I would think that any oil finish would be fine for the inside.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Sorry Steve it is about 9" tall, and not sure how wide.

Wow Russell!! I sure hope you wrapped that monster up!! I like the form...not something you see everyday. It looks to be about 7-8" wide at the shoulder. That should show well!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

6. Two words come to my mind............PUCKER ........FACTOR......... ....Nice work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That is a great piece. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Cool looking HF.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

That's a beautiful piece! That would have ended disastrously for me! lol I'm a big fan of Mahoney's Walnut Oil finish and wax. Bought it to make food safe utility pieces but I really love the soft finish that it produces and its very easy to apply. I would think this would be a good candidate for the inside finish as that area will not be handled much if any.

Really nice work, Russell, and I echo the comments on amazement that you made it to the finish line with this one!!!

I really like this one, Russell. The form is nice and a beautiful piece of burl.

Nice workon the burl Russell. I imagine any oil you have on hand would work.

Wow wow wow
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Very nice work on this! I agree with Steve - reminds me of a Pagoda! Really different!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!