Thread: sailboat cockpit replacement advice needed

sailboat cockpit replacement advice needed

Hi,

I was asked by a friend to look at replacing the plastic mat on the bottom of the cockpit with wood. The old one is falling apart fast. I was thinking about using Ipe for he wood. The size of the cockpit is 24"x 54". I was thinking about making a 1/2" ipe panel and groove both sides deep enough to make drainage holes to drain to the scupper holes. How wide should I make theholes? The old one just layed on the bottom. Should I screw the the new one down because it is now wood and 24" wide? I am planning on using sikkens cetol for finish on both side. Does anybody see a problem with this.

Nest project is replacing our commpanionnway hatch with Ipe. The MDHW looks like crap.

Thanks

Quinn

Typically a after market cockpit sole would be a wood grid just played in place. The grid takes care of all the water issues.

I think you could make up 1 or 2 IPE panel(s) but I'd be inclined to leave a 1/2" gap all around and glue down rather than use screws using 3M 5200 or Phenoseal (or some similar product). Be aware of the true drying time if you use the very excellent 5200. Use lots of weight to keep the panel in place. You can screw it down but don't overdue it and be aware that unless properly bedded you are likely allowing water to creep in through the screw holes. Yes - finish the panel all surfaces and edges before glue down. I can't comment on the Sikens Cetol as it is not a product I have ever used.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Without knowing more about the boat, the only solution that doesn't worry me is an easily-removed grid. Dirt quickly builds up and you have to be able to hose it out. If it must be fastened, consider slipping it under a ledger attached to the side of the cockpit so you're not putting holes in the bottom. I've had 2 sailboats with cockpit soles of fiberglass with a plywood core where water got into the plywood and rotted it. You don't want that.

Ipe is a very dense, oily wood and does not absorb finish well. My go-to exterior sealant is Defy. It's done wonders for redwood, cedar and PTL. Great UV protection. I wouldn't hesitate applying it to teak decks. But when I applied it to an Ipe bench, it just beaded up.

In the most recent Practical Sailor (VOL 41 NO.6), they tested numerous exterior wood finishes. Their top pick was Bonstone Nautithane Pro. It was also their top pick in 2011 and they said it has not disappointed. I'm pretty sure they only tested on teak. I didn't see any mention they tested in Ipe. BTW, their criteria for top pick was "cheap, easy and fast to apply, and even easier to maintain."
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Thanks everyone for the adive.

I know somebody that gets Practical sailor. I can hit him up. I can try sikkens on a scrap of ipe I have.

Thanks much.

Quinn