Thread: Removing Varnish Drip on Bottom of Table Top

Removing Varnish Drip on Bottom of Table Top

It appears that there were some varnish drips that settled on the bottom of the table top I varnished. It is a drafting table, so the bottom is potentially visible, so I can't just ignore them. This table was a labor of love for the LOML, so I want to do this right.

What is the best approach to remove these drips? The Waterlox finish has been curing for a month, and I'm getting ready to rub out the top with Micro Mesh.

Drip-on-Back-of-Table.jpg
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I'd use a razor knive and slice it off or just the blade held 90 degrees to the surface and used as a scraper...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Should I coat some varnish over the scraped off area, or just leave it alone? Will that make it more noticeable?

Also, after scraping/slicing it off, will rubbing out the surface make it even less noticeable? Again, this is the bottom of the drafting table tilting top, so not great exposure.

Interestingly (at least to me) the drips came off the top, dripped down the molded edges, and stuck to the carpet I had supporting the bottom of the wood. The carpet solved the problem of marks on the waterlox, but added the drip issue. So I still don't have a foolproof technique for finishing a tabletop with wiping varnish. I'm pretty close, but still not there.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

If you are getting drips while applying a wiping varnish you are trying to brush it on with a rag. Wipe-on is so quick and light there should not be enough varnish to drip. Wipe it on like the kid wipes the table at the burger joint... barely wet.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.