Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching hands while turning

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    I'm one of those lucky few that are ambidextrous. I get the pleasure of not knowing which hand I should be using so it makes it easy to use either. Or sometimes it confuses me too. It's funny but its been proven that through out history, it has always been 11% of the population is lefty and 8% are ambidextrous. All you righties have it made in a right handed world.
    what percent of the people would be southpaws if the schools did not force the students to conform

Like Steve said, fine tool control comes from body movement, not arm movement. It you can practice that, having the handle in either hand is not difficult. It is more of a mental hurdle than a physical one. Well, at least for turning and sharpening.

robo hippy

I'm ambidextrous, I use both depending on which is easier when squeezing into tight spaces. It makes it handy when your rough turning a big gnarly burl too, you can let one arm rest while the other one takes a beating. I was the kid that they didn't know which hand to teach me to write with because I colored with both hands ALL the time. Some things I do lefty, some things righty. I agree with Steve, turning is really about your body. Though it is awfully nice to be able to switch hands to do detail work, without thinking about it! As with anything repetition is your friend. The more you switch hands and use your less favored hand, the more comfortable you will be with it!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I'm sure I could if I practiced, It seems that the hand holding the tool at the tool rest would provide some control, but am always nervous that the practice needed will burn through more wood or time(both limited for me) than I have.

Since I prefer bowls and bowl-like objects, I can't see how you would even turn left handed for those(maybe from the other side of the lathe)

Interesting topic though...

For someone just getting started turning that is a great question. I guess some folks don't but I would guess 99% of turners change hands but only when needed. I don't change hands just to be changing but when I can do the job better going from my normal righty to my left I don't think about it I just do it. Questions like this from new turners can help many other new turners because we just never think to tell them.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Baseball players who are switch-hitters get paid more money.....

All the time. I'm awful with either hand.
    Del

what percent of doctors can operate with either hand ? I not trying to single the doctors out

I turn with either hand. Of course, I have no idea what the hand orientation is for Left or Right handers so it's never been something I put a label to. I'm a natural lefty but with the exception of my circular saw have never used left handed tools. (I use my left hand to cut with right handed scissors and can't make a pair of LH scissors work to save my life lol.

I was teaching a beginner a few weeks ago and had him turning ambidextrously since I've always moved my body rather than arms to move the tool. He asked about whether LH or RH had an advantage. I told him that as a complete novice he was equally incompetent with either hand so he might as well learn to turn both ways. He laughed and is now turning with either hand as the work dictates.

I'm right handed and am useless with my left hand. When I started turning the man that was my mentor made me turn something with my left hand only every time we got together.He said if you can't turn with ether hand you'll always have to work harder for everything that you turn. I have always
    appreciated this,I still can't do anything with my left hand but I CAN turn with it.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Similarly, they guy who showed me the ropes would take me through a series of cuts, and then make me switch hands and make the same cuts. It's become second nature for me now when spindle turning. Sometimes ill stop and cant even remember which grip is 'righty.' I don't switch as much doing bowls, but I'm not yet very good doing it even right handed at this point.

Someone asked about surgeons- they do practice tying knots with each hand- and esp with laparoscopic procedures one has to be ambidextrous.

I'm a lefty, but use both hands depending on required cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Hollingsworth View Post
    All the time. I'm awful with either hand.
    Same here. Made me chuckle with that one.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

I have been forcing myself to learn how to do the basics both right handed (my dominant hand) and left handed for use during instruction and presentation. I just began teaching some of the basics of wood turning to my high school students and it really helps to be able to demonstrate the same cut with both hands so that both right handed and left handed students can see how it is done. My big lathe is also situated in such a way that if I cut everything right handed my students cannot see anything but my back, so I demonstrate everything on that lathe left handed.

Jim,
    Just a side note, left handed scissors are actually right handed ones with the handles made for the left hand. Blade orientation is not switched so when using 'left handed' scissors you have to look over the scissor blade from the wrong side. The blade on the under side needs to be towards your center when you cut. Took me a while to figure that one out. I do think there are some true 'left handed' ones out there, but they are rare. I guess with most turning tools there is no right of left handed tool.

robo hippy