Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer router problems

I just did the update. Went as smooth as it could go. Took about 15 minutes total. I REALLLLLLLLLLLY like DD-WRT's options and interface. Finally, I feel like I can actually use things inside my router. You really seem to have a lot of control of things and they are explained well from what I can see.

Thanks for the tips, I'll take DD-WRT for a test drive from now until Monday morning and see how it does.

Thanks again!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Just an update on this. The router is running great, no issues of slow downs at all after installing the DD-WRT software on it. I'm really impressed with it so far.

One thing I did note, I'm getting much higher upload speeds than download speeds. I'm getting a ping of 7, and 25Mbps download and 45Mbps upload. I don't think I've ever seen that be reversed like that, but it's been like that since I did the install. Nothing to complain about, 25Mbps is fast and we don't do a lot of uploading, so the 45Mbps is just wasted, I guess.

I wish I knew about this earlier. I'm really impressed with the controls you have, and the ability to actually make your wireless signal stronger. That's something I could have used many times in the past. Who knew you could do that to your signal? I certainly didn't.

Thanks again for the tip to use it!
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I'm really impressed with the controls you have, and the ability to actually make your wireless signal stronger. That's something I could have used many times in the past.
    Don't go overboard on the signal boost. It can lead to premature hardware failure, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Don't go overboard on the signal boost. It can lead to premature hardware failure, I believe.
    Uh huh, heat related. There's been more than 1 router running 3rd party firmware with a hole cut over the radio circuitry and a heat sink kludged on. Not much different than overclocking a P.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    No problem. I have no need to do it, we don't use the wireless part, but I thought it was pretty cool to be able to really tweak the router like that. I did read about frying it by cranking up that, but I would imagine there are lots of people out there that could use just a wee bit more from their signal and this would let them do it.

Still pretty cool stuff compared to the factory stuff you get.

Blog Entries
    This thread has inspired me to try to turn an old router into a wireless access point for my shop. My shop sits about 120' down a hill from the house. Wireless from the house does reach down there, but the signal is very weak, if fact it is pretty much unusable. However, I did run one Ethernet wire down there in a buried conduit when I built the shop. I have thought it would be nice if I could get wireless setup down there. I really don't have anything that I actually "need" it for, I just thought it might come in handy some day. With that said, I have never been willing to spend any actual money on this project. I have an old Linksys wrt160n V3 that I replaced with a new gigabit router a few years ago just sitting in the closet. I really had forgotten that I even had it. This thread got me to reading up on dd-wrt and I discoverd that indeed this router could be flashed with dd-wrt and that there were also instructions on how to set it up as a wireless access point.
    Cool! this sounds like fun for a nerdy guy like me! All this met my primary requirement of spending zeros dollars. SWMBO was out of town, so I needed something to occupy my time that would not get me in trouble.
    This past Saturday I took it on and I had SOOO much fun doing it. Not only did I get it working exactly as I had envisioned, It now works as a WAP and a 4 port switch. The signal is extremely strong. It occurred to me that my iphone has Pandora installed on it. I also found an RCA to 3.5mm jack laying around. I was able to get my iphone to connect to the WAP and play Pandora thru the shop stereo easy peasy. How cool is that! Who knows, I might even install a wireless web cam down there just for kicks.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with someone who might appreciate it. SWMBO just thinks I'm weird for getting such a kick out of doing this.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Good stuff! Now all you have to do is install asterisk on it. Then you will be a real computer geek. Oh and you'll get a cool compact pbx in the deal as well.
    glad it worked so well for you.....
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Good stuff! Now all you have to do is install asterisk on it. Then you will be a real computer geek. Oh and you'll get a cool compact pbx in the deal as well.
    glad it worked so well for you.....
    I am almost afraid to ask... asterisk????? What's that?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sorry. It's an open source pbx (phone) system that is extremely scalable. I have installed it on a linksys router along with wrt.
    I get totally carried away by the coolness factor.
    Paul