Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Can A Fella Get A Haircut?

Where Can A Fella Get A Haircut?

Just got home from a very moving event.

I participated in my first St. Baldrick's head shaving event. LOML and I stumbled upon a place in Green Bay last spring that had sponsored a St. Baldrick's event and I found the idea of getting all my air cut off for children's cancer research intriguing. So I signed up sent a few e-mails, letters and got some pledges from the folks at work. Learned about children's cancer, the organization and heard some moving stories.

The local organization wanted to beat last years donations and were pretty confident we'd do that. The final count isn't in yet but as of last night we had over $16,000 in donations and recieved plenty more at todays event.

Here's some before, during and after pictures. No laughing allowed.

IMG_4289.jpgIMG_4644.jpgIMG_4651.jpg
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

You did a good thing. Did your children recognize you after the cut?
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    You did a good thing. Did your children recognize you after the cut?

Kids are all grown and moved out but I'm going to have fun at work tomorrow.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Good for you. My youngest daughter is doing this on May 25th to raise money for cancer research here in Milwaukee.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Good for you. My youngest daughter is doing this on May 25th to raise money for cancer research here in Milwaukee.
    I think it's a brave thing for girls/women to do especially if they're high school age or younger and could have alot of peer pressure about their looks.

Can't see the hair...apparently the big heart gets in the way Nicely done sir!

You're a good man.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

great cause. good man.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

You look a few years younger with all the gray gone...

I quit shaving last August when I retired and I had my last hair cut about a year ago.

I look like Santa...my head and beard are all white.

I'll have to look around and see if there's somethig similar in my neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    You look a few years younger with all the gray gone...

I quit shaving last August when I retired and I had my last hair cut about a year ago.

I look like Santa...my head and beard are all white.

I'll have to look around and see if there's somethig similar in my neck of the woods.
    Check out Locks of Love.

Even if they can't use your hair for children's wigs, they can sell it.

There are rules. Check woth the wife's hairdresser.

I donated 2 pony tails to the cause over the years.

Good job Jerry, although I have to admit you look quite pained in the second photo.

+1 for Locks of Love, if you have the patience to let your hair grow that long. Hair donated needs to be at least 10" long. Our St. Baldrick's event here is usually the weekend before St. Patrick's Day. I've considered participating but my SO hasn't been very supportive. I keep reminding him the hair will grow back.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Ok!
    Thanks for that info - Lock of Love.

Might as well have my mane go to good use instead of being floor sweepings

congrats ,you took the easy way out by having some one else cut your hair, they are able to cut more quickly

Nice! Big improvement in my opinion
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Great job Jerry. Had my head shaved for the 4th time March 25th. St. Baldricks is a great charity.

Charlie