Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what is wrong with todays kids?

If you don't know whats wrong then what makes you think a bunch of old geezers on this site are going to be able to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    If you don't know whats wrong then what makes you think a bunch of old geezers on this site are going to be able to tell you.
    because we been there and did it all do not mean that we learn from the mistakes

Mark Twain once said something like....When I was 14 I thought my father was the stupidest person alive. By the time I was 21 I was amazed at how much he had learned.

I don't think kids are any worse today than they have ever been. As someone bumping up on "old geezer" status I just think older people have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight when it comes to judging the things that kids are doing. Basically, they've been there, done that, and know the consequences. But everyone has to learn life's experiences for themselves, some young people will learn from example and some will just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. But one thing I think I can honestly say is that there is no shortage of stupid old people either.

But one thing I think I can honestly say is that there is no shortage of stupid old people either.
    why do you had to think about it
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 04-27-2012 at 6:20 PM.

My thought is; Look at what we're leaving them with.
    15 trillion in national debt, that they will have to pay off. No jobs of any consequence.

Now look at the parents.
    They host drinking parties. Claim their kids are angels.

They look at the bickering among political sides. Greed is rampant.

Not much to look forward to in my opinion. So why should they care?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Depending on where one lives not having a car isn't necessarily an issue. For someone with little income the expense of a car can really be a drag on the finances. I would judge a young person based on if they owned a car or not. The other issues, yes. I know parents who let there kids live at home for years past when they should have been out on their own.

Blog Entries
    It's been going downhill ever since the first teenager arrived I think.
    And Cain rose up and slew Abel.
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 04-27-2012 at 6:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Depending on where one lives not having a car isn't necessarily an issue. For someone with little income the expense of a car can really be a drag on the finances. I would judge a young person based on if they owned a car or not. The other issues, yes. I know parents who let there kids live at home for years past when they should have been out on their own.
    Well, I didn't do that, I couldn't wait to bolt from the homestead, but I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the kids living at home are doing something productive and saving money. If someone can live at home for 4 or 5 years and is serious about saving money (and doesn't come up with a significant other who objects), that's not a bad idea.

That is, if you could stand living with your parents for any longer than you had to, I couldn't!

Blog Entries
    +1 on the elimination of trade courses in public schools. I have a nephew that was definitely not college-bound. There were no trade courses for him to take. He graduated from high school, bummed around for awhile, married twice, fathered three kids, bummed around some more and now that he is in his thirties finally zeroed in on a trade that he likes, is learning it and works hard. Too bad he had to waste 15 years of his life.

On the other hand, if you want to see some good, hard working kids, go to a 4H or FFA stock show some time. You don't have to wait for the state fair; just go to the local school show or county show. Go in the animal barn and talk to some of the kids - they love to talk about their animals. They get up every day before school and feed these animals, go by after school and groom them, train them and exercise them. They hold down part-time jobs to buy food and medicine for them and study and make passing grades so they can stay in the program. These are the kind of kids that will take care of this country in the future. And I'm sure there are several other organizations that folks here know about that have similar traits; this is the one I've been around. And that doesn't mean they will all be blue-collar workers. My son (and daughter)were in FFA; he went to college at the US Naval Academy and is a career Naval Officer. FFA taught him a lot about responsibility, hard work and getting along with and helping others.

Trade schools, indifferent parents, lack of entry level jobs, government safety net available to too much of the population, a declining society in the western world, TV tells us 'it's all good', societal behaviors that were a felony a generation ago are now accepted and encouraged, crowded prisons, news media concentrating on negative stories, the internet, government interferrence with child raising, governmental raising of children, political correctness, and of course the ever popular 'bad blood'.

My fingers are tired.

Rick P

This is funny, I was just about to start a thread asking what's wrong with today's 'adults'???

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Well, I didn't do that, I couldn't wait to bolt from the homestead, but I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the kids living at home are doing something productive and saving money. If someone can live at home for 4 or 5 years and is serious about saving money (and doesn't come up with a significant other who objects), that's not a bad idea.
    A case I know the kids are living at home and have no jobs. Mom and Dad seem to be perfectly content with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    A case I know the kids are living at home and have no jobs. Mom and Dad seem to be perfectly content with it.
    I guess that's up to them. Can't be teaching the kids good habits, though. It's like the kids are retired before they ever worked

I've got some relatives like those, but at the same time, also have a relative who has lived at home for about 5 years gainfully employed and intending to buy a house cash or close to it. The latter strategy, I like a lot. I can't see how paying a mortgage and carrying debt really has ever made anyone's life more enjoyable, and he may be able to avoid it completely his whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Ellis View Post
    This is funny, I was just about to start a thread asking what's wrong with today's 'adults'???
    I think some adults have selective memory about how they were when they were young and think a bit too highly about their decision making abilities were the same options available to them at the time.

That said, it seems to me that to succeed today, you have to be good at what you do. The self-esteem generation of parents have left kids feeling like they're good at everything because they're insulated from failure. The result is that the real world becomes a scary place compared to the coddling confines of the nest. Kids become reluctant to leave and when they do take longer to figure out what they're actually good enough at doing to make a living out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    I think some adults have selective memory about how they were when they were young and think a bit too highly about their decision making abilities were the same options available to them at the time.

That said, it seems to me that to succeed today, you have to be good at what you do. The self-esteem generation of parents have left kids feeling like they're good at everything because they're insulated from failure. The result is that the real world becomes a scary place compared to the coddling confines of the nest. Kids become reluctant to leave and when they do take longer to figure out what they're actually good enough at doing to make a living out of it.
    Self-esteem is one of the major characteristics of successful people. While one may argue about whether we're going about it in the right way, the goal is correct - developing children with good self esteem is one of the best ways to help your child be successful.

Mike

[There is also a strong correlation between teen pregnancy and low self esteem.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-26-2012 at 2:46 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.