Thread: Here is my router setup

Here is my router setup

My router table setup has, and likely will continue, to evolve. Here are some pictures of my current configuration. Hopefully someone will be able to lift some ideas for their own use and even improve on it.

The router lift is the Rockler lift. My only means of comparison is the router bases that came with my PC 890 router. It really isn't even fair to compare the bases to this lift. The 890 series bases are inadequate at best.

I am very happy with the Rockler lift. It's operation is smooth, reliable and thus far holds it position. Compared to what I had to use before, this lift is an absolute luxury. Like any good tool, it simply does what you expect it to do.

The router fence is nothing remarkable and I am sure many have something similar. What makes mine 'custom' is that rather than installing T track to adjust and hold the fence position relative to the router bit, I put slots in the fence base and installed threaded inserts in my table top. I think a couple of threaded inserts is less compromising to the top than T tracks.

The opening on the fence is generous as it matches the opening on the router lift plate. For the operations can be accomplished with the basic fence, the large opening allows for decent dust collection. The router sits in a box that I hook my DC unit to and I attach my shop vac to the back side of the router fence. DC with this configuration is acceptable.

For operations that require a smaller opening, I have to adjustable faces that I can attach to the fence.

All in all, I find this configuration provides a level of accuracy, performance and flexibility that had been missing. I no longer try to avoid, or worse yet dread, using the router.

For my sharpening tasks, I use the Scary sharp technique. In the past I had the glass plates stowed on edge when not in use or laid out. It was messy and inconvenient. The plates are cemented to some hard board, and the hard board is screwed down the the case. When not in use I just put the cover on it and leave in place or stash it somewhere out of the way.

Anyway, This is how I am rolling these days.

Router Fence-02.jpgRouter Fence-03.jpgRouter Fence-05.jpgRouter Lift.jpgSharpening Station-01.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greg Peterson; 04-15-2012 at 3:52 PM.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

That's a nice set up. I like the storage idea for the scary sharp system too

Craig