Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New infil plane

that is seriously nice. "production run" of 5? What's a ballpark on price? Wondering if they are already sold???
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Infil plane

Pm sent to you Bob. Thanks

Hi everyone. Recently i received a very respectful message from a member of a woodworking forum. The message advised me that may not be a good idea to make planes that incorporate designs that are the work of another modern maker and offer them for sale. Other advise was to make planes based on old makers such as Norris or Spiers.I contacted Sauer and Steiner and there were others that were concerned about my plane too.I don't want to offend anyone by making planes. I just wanted to make something I found to be of beauty and valued by others.Beyond what I have in progress I will not produce any more planes of this design.I made this plane out of admiration and in no way intended it to be a copy or rip off any other maker.I am however a little disappointed as I was ultimately inspired to start to make planes not by the work of the old makers like Norris but by the exquisite modern work of Sauer and Steiner.Wayne
    Last edited by wayne Jepson; 05-09-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Wayne, I think with some minor changes you would be ok. Only so many ways to make a small smoother like that.

For instance, change up the rear sweep of the metal from the mouth to the heel of the plane. Also, I think if you change the shaping of the rear bun slightly then you would be ok. Personally, i think the bottom rear of the plane is a little lumpy.

Out of curiosity did you make your own lever cap and cap screw?