Thread: Mahogany Credenza

Mahogany Credenza

I haven't been around here much for quite a while, but have been checking in lately. Most of my time is spent on another board, but I'm trying to catch up over here a bit.

My most recently completed project is an item I spent a few weeks designing last Summer and started in September. I finally got it done the middle of March and thought I'd post the finished product here for your comments.

The primary wood is Honduran mahogany. The door panels (and two end panels not visible in the photo) are sapele pommelle veneer. The door rails, top and bottom aprons and panels for the door veneer were formed using my vacuum press and a bending form. Overall size is about 74.5" long by 25" high by 22" deep in the center.
    Credenza_a.jpg

This photo shows the top panel a bit better. It comprises a central area of olive ash burl veneer; each end is a sunburst of cherry with a wenge border. The frame of the top is solid mahogany.
    Credenza_c.jpg

This project started life as a TV stand. When LOML suggested using the olive ash veneer for the top, we quickly decided to order a wall-mount for the 55" LG TV.

Thanks for looking!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

WOW. Nicely done Bill

Blog Entries
    That's really nice. I agree with hanging the TV; don't want to cover that beautiful figured wood.

Nice work Bill , and welcome back. Yeah, hang the idiot box ...
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

There’s a major WOW factor with that one Bill!
    Your LG looks huge! I thought it was one of the new 70” that I saw the other day at Costco.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    There’s a major WOW factor with that one Bill!
    Your LG looks huge! I thought it was one of the new 70” that I saw the other day at Costco.
    Thanks, Bruce. It brought its challenges, but the outcome is what we wanted.

As far as the TV goes, we looked at a lot of them at Best Buy as well as Walmart. We were pretty well set on LG and all of our viewing confirmed what we had read. Our previous TV was a 49" projection unit that was plenty for the viewing distance. We thought about going to a 60" but it seemed a bit much. When sitting on the sofa, our eyes are about 13' from the TV screen, which is optimal for that angle. I recall the recommended viewing distance decades ago for CRT TVs being 1' per inch of screen height, which would mean a 17" TV would have been recommended.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Awesome work. I have been looking through a lot of magazines and books lately for inspiration for my own audio/visual cabinet, and I may have found it. Hope you don't mind if I make something inspired by your work, but I may utilize a different species of wood. Thanks and keep up the fine work.

Very nice Bill! Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Awesome work. I have been looking through a lot of magazines and books lately for inspiration for my own audio/visual cabinet, and I may have found it. Hope you don't mind if I make something inspired by your work, but I may utilize a different species of wood. Thanks and keep up the fine work.
    We find inspiration in many places and from others. I was drawing up a fairly typical rectangular entertainment center cabinet with a center section 3-4' wide by 24" deep by 25" high and end sections that were smaller. When my wife saw that drawing, she asked if I could make the front curved to take away the boxy look. How could I refuse her?
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa

Thanks to all of you for your positive feedback.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa