Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cut resistant gloves?

Cut resistant gloves?

I did a search, and nothing comes up. I figured that carvers would wear cut resistant gloves, but the one post I found indicates not so. Most carvers don't wear gloves at all?
    I'm looking for good, comfortable, non bulky but not $50 cut resistant gloves. I'd like to use them when sharpening my chainsaw. Hate drawing blood when that file slips.
    Wonder if those cheap gloves from Costco would do the trick. I guess they would. But they not comfortable at all. Those mechanic golves are comfortable, and are very thin. But I wonder if that chipper will cut right through.

TIA

The mechanics gloves are great. They keep the blood from getting everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I did a search, and nothing comes up. I figured that carvers would wear cut resistant gloves, but the one post I found indicates not so. Most carvers don't wear gloves at all?
    I'm looking for good, comfortable, non bulky but not $50 cut resistant gloves. I'd like to use them when sharpening my chainsaw. Hate drawing blood when that file slips.
    Wonder if those cheap gloves from Costco would do the trick. I guess they would. But they not comfortable at all. Those mechanic golves are comfortable, and are very thin. But I wonder if that chipper will cut right through.

TIA
    Google: Kevlar Safety Gloves -Some as cheap as $8.50 pr.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Galeton Gloves have kevlar gloves

I recently picked up on a woven link stainless steel meat cutter's glove. Haven't had a chance to "test" it yet.

i've just gotten really good at treating nicks. the tea bag and tape works great!

I wear regular deerskin gloves when sharpening.

Is your file motorized? Mine is just a circular file - I get the 20 inch bar touched up in ten minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I wear regular deerskin gloves when sharpening.

Is your file motorized? Mine is just a circular file - I get the 20 inch bar touched up in ten minutes.

I have a "real" sharpener for home, but in the field, if I need to hand sharpen, I use the round files. I've had the file slip and cut my finger(s) on the chipper. OR cut them when trying to rotate the chain. I'd like to avoid that..... It's amazing how sharp a "dull" chain is when it comes to cutting skin.

Keep in mind that they are cut resistant, but not cut proof. Kevlar gloves and sleeves were part of the PPE on a previous job. During orientation the demonstrator said the sleeve would prevent a knife from cutting her arm. She didn't actually try it, but I remember being close to offering her a knife to show us. Good thing I didn't, as I tried it later on a sleeve down on the table and my knife cut right through it.

Take a battery powered drill out with you, then you can put the round file in the drill and sharpen that chain quick.
    The older I get, the better I was.

11. I've tried Leather and Kevlar gloves, and my Pfeil carving knives went right through them. I found a Stainless and Kevlar set of gloves on Amazon, and have not had any problems with cuts. Of course, the point of a knife still goes through easily.

I saw a thread somewhere about carving gloves. One of the guys went into a store that sold the kevlar gloves and told them he could prove they wouldn't stop a knife cut. He took a pair of scissors and cut the fingers off a pair of their gloves...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Anyone tried the gloves with Dyneema? I have a pair I was given at a food production plant in Indy.
    They are supposed to be abrasion and cut resistant.
    I know they are fairly cut resistant as I have slipped a few times with a box cutter, unboxing product for installs.
    I am sure the point would find its way through for a stab, but for a slice they seem ok.

For those chuckling about cutting the gloves with scissors or slicing them on a table, it might be more useful to think about how gloves actually protect a carver.

The overwhelming majority of carving (whittling) accidents are knife slips from pressure at the wrong angle or from wood splitting. The movement of the blade in those cases almost never a slicing action. It's a broad edge coming down in a chopping motion toward your fingers. The glove fibers absorb that blunt impact and soften the "chop." The gloves won't be nearly as protective for slicing cuts, but those are extremely rare accidental cuts.

.... Dave

Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.