Thread: Milk Paint question

Milk Paint question

I want to order some pints of milk paint for my turned bowls and am trying to decide what color/s I want to start with. Does anyone with experience using milk paints know of a color combination that you can mix to make color variations so that I dont have to order a bunch of different colors. I Have never used this stuff so it will be an experiment for me.

Thanks,
    Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Well... Red, yellow, blue, along with black and white "can" produce every color in the spectrum. Mixing them will be the challenge.

Red, yellow and blue are primary colors; the black and white will darken or lighten the colors...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Call the Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company and get their advice.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Well... Red, yellow, blue, along with black and white "can" produce every color in the spectrum. Mixing them will be the challenge.

Red, yellow and blue are primary colors; the black and white will darken or lighten the colors...
    Yeah, thats kinds what I was thinkin....Guess I will order the five colors since that will give me plenty to experiement with and I can keep it in the freezer for a long time in powder form to help its longevity.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Don't know if the freezer will be needed. In Houston, I would worry about the cold powder absorbing moisture when it was removed from the freezer.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

From what I understand, those pints of premixed milk paint (such as what General Finishes sells) are not really milk paint, if that's what you are referring to. I have used the powdered milk paint from the Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company, and I have mixed colors. If you haven't done so, read the article about milk paint by Mike Dunbar in Fine Woodworking. It's pretty helpful. Milk paint is quite different from latex and acrylic paints--not better, not worse, just different. You may turn out to really like those differences. I did. As far as mixing, use your imagination and experiment, experiment, experiment. There may not be a way to avoid buying a number of colors in the beginning as you experiment, however. The colors they offer are very cool, and I can't wait to have projects to try them all. On a recent project (built-in cabinets, which used up a LOT of those pouches of powder) I mixed a white color with just a little of the Driftwood color to get the color I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacDonald View Post
    ... I have used the powdered milk paint from the Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company, and I have mixed colors. If you haven't done so, read the article about milk paint by Mike Dunbar in Fine Woodworking. It's pretty helpful. Milk paint is quite different from latex and acrylic paints--not better, not worse, just different.
    It is indeed different. Once you get the hang of the application, you'll be hooked. Yes, you can mix colors http://milkpaint.com/color.html or just add lights and darks to get different shades. We re-did an antique make-up vanity. Took what was left of the finish off, painted it, then distressed it. When I put the clear on it, it came out perfect. Next think I know, she wanted picture frames the same way and the computer desk that I did had the base in milk-paint.

We used foam brushes but they say you can spray it too. As you're working with it, just remember that it will have a tendency to thicken up...just add more water.

As a retired colorist, among other things, I have to agree with Scott on this one as to the 3 primaries. On the other-hand, after seeing the colors and looking at the mixing chart, anyone would be hard pressed to mix "any color" from what their offerings are. You could produce many shades and tints, and for your taste or needs be satisfied with your choice[s], but even when using the primaries, most often you need a good assortment of each, due to many companies not using the same ones unless ISO certification calls for such. In all honesty, you would be better off making your own milk paint and buying the dry powders yourself to add.