Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowl using table saw

Bowl using table saw

Talked to a guy that made bowls with a table saw. Would round bowl on bandsaw and then make a jig to set over table saw blade. Raise the blade a little and gently lower bowl blank and slowly turn it. Keep raising blade to achieve the desired depth. I think it an accident waiting to happen!

That sounds like one of the stuipest idea I could ever think of ... bad karma there

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVlW73do-qo

Seems gnarly but there are a few other accepted practices on the tablesaw that raise those same hairs on my neck.

4. Just because a person can do something, does not mean they should do it.......this is definitely one of those things!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I saw this the other day and wondered about it… The instructor is the same as the youtube video above

http://www.woodcraft.com/Resources/E...eID=0&State=MN

I just noticed in the video that he was raising the blade whilst the saw was running and his hand was on top of the piece. More guts than I have...

Blog Entries
    What if your blanks are different sizes? Do you go buy another hundred bucks of mdf to turn a 10 dollar blank? I'm gonna go with a lathe to make my bowls.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Some people should be removed from the gene pool to prevent contamination.

It is the same concept as making a cove molding on the table saw. You just angle the fence and run the stock across the blade on the bias. Angle of fence from perpendicular + blade height = cove shape. I was taught this in my early 20's in a church furniture shop. It was really a pretty safe operation (a lot safer that a lot of other stuff it did). Makes a nice clean cove. I used to love table saws back when I was in mu prime. (used almost all day every day) I had scores of jigs for different purposes.
    You can also turn a spirial spindle on a table saw with a modified version of the cove molding approach.
    I haven't seen a table saw with a remote control before.
    His (in the video) looks like a "SawStop" with the safety mechanism disabled.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Geez you guys are harsh. I didn't watch the videos but I think you could do this safely. I would definitely NOT do this just holding the wood in my hands. I think I would devise a a screw clamp mechanism (Like the old veneer press) that would hold the bowl down onto the table (Not too tight that it can't turn but not flopping around). attach some type of handle to the wood so I could turn it 360 degrees. Stand on the outfeed side of the table saw when I turn the blank. Then raise the blade 1/32, turn the blank around and raise the blade some more. This is not much different than running the cove molding on the table saw which if done correctly is a safe operation.

I think the remote was his dust collection system.
    For all the efforts involved, not the least of which is making the jigs, it won't replace even a small lathe for purpose of bowl making.
    Looks safe enough in approach, but lots of opportunities for folks to cut corners and get hurt.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

11. I posted my comment before the link came up for the video.........at least I was typing my post when the video link was posted.........now that I have seen the video, I would say the jigs can make it a fairly safe process, although I still have reservations about my hands being that close to the blade.

In making a cove on a table saw, one can take care of that issue with a hold down.......if a hold down could be put on the jig he used and still allow for the turning, then maybe................however..........there are so many better options for making bowls with a lathe...................why not just go with a lathe, if one has a desire to make bowls........that is what they are made to do!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I don't have a real problem with the concept, if that is what you want to do. My main problem would be making a blank that perfectly round on a bandsaw. I think that he must have rounded off the blank on a lathe before he put it on the table saw!

If you started woodworking as a turner, this video will trouble you. If you came to woodturning from flat boarding, not so much. As woodturners, we do things every day, that should scare the daylights out us! Sticking your hands and tools in and around 1000+ rpm hunks of wood - yikes! And then those chainsaws.....
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Actually, this was a feature article in one of the woodworking mags recently. Wish I could remember which one...

It's OK. He's safe. He has hearing protection.

The really unsafe part of this seems to be holding a piece of wood down with your hand while raising the blade underneath.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!