Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holly Cow, someone turned a bench grinder into a lathe!

Holly Cow, someone turned a bench grinder into a lathe!

U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Looks to me like a high speed grinder. 3200 rpm right out of the gate. Hope he won't miss his teeth when they get knocked out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be in that room when that thing went! Heck, I wouldn't want to be OUTSIDE...that piece of wood, at that velocity, would probably take out that window and kill ya out there...
    I drink, therefore I am.

That be cookin'! some serious RPMs. I be scheered of that one too.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Whatever happened to that guy who bolted two Shopsmiths together and started turning a 500-pound log with a half-inch bowl gouge? Gotta wonder if that worked out and everyone made it safely to the end of the project.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

That setup and the speed it turns at is a little unnerving, sure....but a catch with that skew is what would worry me the most. I can say that the though of a lathe with a grinder "attachment" is a nice thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephens View Post
    Looks to me like a high speed grinder. 3200 rpm right out of the gate. Hope he won't miss his teeth when they get knocked out.
    This made me laugh! .. a lot!

He's definitely not speed roughing with that skew used as a negative rake scraper!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Whatever happened to that guy who bolted two Shopsmiths together and started turning a 500-pound log with a half-inch bowl gouge? Gotta wonder if that worked out and everyone made it safely to the end of the project.
    That project turned out great. He showed up on the Shopsmith forum over at shopsmith.net to answer some Shopsmith-specific questions for us. I would include a link if you're interested to read the details, but I'm typing on my phone and copying and pasting links is a pain.

That looks like a accident waiting to happen.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you should. Aside from the speed of the thing, I like how the tool rest is attached with what looks like a single bolt at the bottom. A little push could send it crashing into the turning itself.

The scariest thing about that is the way he is using that poor skew. Can't say it doesn't purr though LOL
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

13. The tool rest is totally flat...........his tool work is nothing more than a scraper............he seriously needs some lessons in turning from someone who knows what they are doing! I guess when you improvise and fabricate your lathe, you improvise and fabricate the way you turn as well...............

This is an accident just waiting to happen.........hope he will come on SMC and see what it is supposed to be like and let someone help him before he gets hurt.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Maybe he learned his speed setting watching that UK guy that has made lots of popular DVD's. Best I remember, when he demo'ed at the local club he started a winged bowl from a board and started at 3200. After everyone realized there wasn't a Huey Cobra landing in the room things settled down.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Well, if nothing else, his sharpening station seems very handy........