Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holly Cow, someone turned a bench grinder into a lathe!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    Well, if nothing else, his sharpening station seems very handy........
    That was my first impression - had to rewind to see what those sparks were from - ingenious!
    Steve \o/
    Dynamite With A Laser Beam LLC
    Epilog Helix 75W/Epilog Fusion Edge 80W and Jet 1642-EVS2

This is definately an accident looking for a place to happen.. He is using a regular chisel, NOT a SKEW. Holding it at a negative angle and just banging the blank.
    Amazing that the inside - out laminated blank is still in one piece. He sure cound use some lessons. All the time he is turning the piece could have been completed easily with a couple of gouges held at their proper angles.
    He is also a left handed person and I suppose that is why he put the grinder (headstock) on the right side. (He could have set it up on the left side).
    If anyone knows him please invite him to SMC.
    Hope he did not get hurt.....
    Peter F.

There was very little wood removed in that video. It looks like he is using a scraper -- not my choice of roughing tool. Note the window in the back of the lathe; how long do you think it will be before that is broken?

Since the captions to the video are in Spanish, any one of our distinguished Spanish literate members ought to invite him to join SMC and then he can get good advice.. Whether he would use the advice is another story.
    The tailstock almost looks like a ratcheting screwdriver or some other weird thing.. You have to admit though, he has an intriguing mind to build that lathe the way he did... Jerry (in Tucson)

Oh for sure it's super creative. It looks like it turns true too. Bet it gets real exciting if anything is off balance, even a little!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Crazy folks make the rest of us look good! But at least he is doing something he enjoys and created the lathe on his own. There are millions of people out there who wish to have things and can't afford them so they are forced into making do with what they have, but ggod intentions can still hurt as it hits you in the side of the head!

It takes all kinds,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Jeff, DON'T get any ideas from that guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    That's not a lathe, that's a weapon. If that goes wrong, it goes very very wrong. The next youtube video will be him pulling the piece out of his head.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.