Thread: Engraving on Ceramic tile

Engraving on Ceramic tile

I tried engraving some tiles from Lowes. They worked better than expected and only cost about 15 cents each.

The left one was engraved at 40% power, 325 mm/sec speed and 0.065 mm scan gap.
    The one on the right was engraved twice at 14% power yielding a light gray image each time, So I then wiped it with black acrylic paint for a dark image. I assume the slight loss in resolution is caused by engraving it twice.

ernie
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

Ernie, try buying a black tile and painting it white.......then engrave off the paint.....it's ALOT faster!!!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

How well does the paint stick to the ceramic? My guess not real well. OK for a decorative piece on a wall but not as good for a piece that is handled. Just curious.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

The paint is recessed so I think it will be ok. I tried a tan colored tile and it didn't change color after engraving so I wiped some black acrylic paint across it and rubbed off the rest. A little while later I tried to remove it with mineral spirits but it would not come off.

ernie
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

5. I use a permanent marker and clean up with water about 5 seconds after applying it.
    "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!" -- Arthur Carlson

Jamieson MT-530

Do you know if the permanent marker or any of the paints would stand up to installation in a shower?
    ULS X-660 CO2 50 watt (July 2008), Corel X7, Photograv, GX 7000 for dye sub, Graphtec vinyl plotter, Rayzist Sandcarving system (Nov 2018), JPT MOPA M6 30 watt Fiber Laser (May 2019)