Thread: Re-painting question

Re-painting question

I built a "Doll House" bed for my daughter several years ago. It's constructed from MDF, which I sealed with shellac then painted. Not having the sense to research it first, we concentrated on the colors and didn't make a good choice for the type of paint. Latex is fine for walls, but not so great for furniture or anything that will ever have something sitting on it (like shelves). She's gotten a little older and wants everything purple instead of pink, so we'll be repainting.

I think the paint I should be using is an oil based enamel, what do I need to do the existing finish to get it ready for the new paint? Can I just sand everything nice and smooth then brush on the new paint? This thing is so large and heavy, that I won't be removing it from the room, so spraying isn't an option. The original latex was rolled on and tight areas finished with a brush. Will the same drill work for the new paint? If I can paint over the latex, do I need to lay down a primer first? Any recommendations for a brand of paint? Little girls will be bouncing around this bed (it has a second bed in the "loft" that often doubles as play area), so I'm looking for a tough finish that could stand up to a little cleaning after the inevitables occur.

Thanks in advance!

Oil over latex is fine - other way around, not so much. I would lightly sand and get on with the painting.

You may be better off using a water-based enamel. The oil-based is going to off-gas and smell for weeks... while it cures.

The water-based enamels are pretty durable. Think about the woodwork trim and baseboards in the house, all are most likely water-based enamel...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Blog Entries
    Is the paint that is on there now enamel? Shiny? If it is, you need to scuff it up before you paint over it.

Current paint is water based Latex (may be redundant to say that with Latex <g>). I didn't know about the water based Enamel. Will it end up with a finish that stuff won't stick to (items on the latex painted shelves tend to stick to them)?

Most of the "latex" enamels are 100% acrylic. That's what you want. Wall paint is too soft and stuff sticks to it. It's called blocking. A light scuff sand adn a seal coat of primer should be enough for you to top coat with the acrylic.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Go to your local paint store. There is no reason why you can't use a waterborne acrylic interior trim or enamel paint. Clean a scuff sand the paint that's already on the item. Sand with 220 grit paper, sanding in the direction of the grain. Then vacuum thoroughly and apply your top coats.
    Howie.........

Thanks all!