Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Table Dust Collection

Router Table Dust Collection

I'm building something a similar compartment seen in the "Router Magic" book. The plan says to build a baffle so the air flow get sucked to the bottom and a jumper hose for table top collection. It seems the compartment is built for a shop vac but I'll be using a 1.5 H.P. dust collector with a 4" port. I'll also have a 2 1/4" jumper hose for upper dust collection. My question is do I need to baffle or should I leave the compartment wide open? The compartment is 14 1/2" x 15" x 17". Would it be a copy write issue if I scan the "Router Magic" schematic to better show what I'm talking about?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Various answers here. I built mine with a door with a dummy panel in it. I then made larger and more numerous holes in the door until I achieved the best airflow. I then made a finished door. MY 4" hose is at the bottom rear and he door is opposite.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    4" main, 2.5" jumper on mine, no baffle, but I cut a 5/16" x 4" slot at the bottom on the side panel after this pic was taken, opposite of the 4" outlet to allow a jet of air to sweep the dust out. Works very well.

Hi Justin,

Bill Huber did a nice trick where he made a cutout that just clears his router/lift - and pulled the dust collection off above this baffle. The idea is to get it before it gets pulled through the lift/router mechanisms.

If I were doing a router table I would consider this (and may even go back and mod my current table).

Try a search for it - its posted here a while back.

Here's what I went for - the extra 4in connection was possible as I have lots of air flow with a high CFM Pentz dust system. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=router+table

I concluded that realistically there isn't a truly elegant solution for a router table. There's times you need through fence collection, there's times down past the tool works best, and there's other times neither work very well. e.g. cutting a blind slot in sheet material where it's highly likely the cutter will just chuck the chips back out the slot. Hence the extra 'position and use as needed' dust collection inlet and mounting clamp.

It seems a pity to cut air inlet slots in the air box. Too much suction through the table can reportedly cause problems feeding sheet material (I thought of drilling additional air holes in the router plate, but didn't as this seemed likely to be an issue), but on the other hand it seemed more useful to use any surplus flow for another pick up - if only to capture ambient fine dust that escapes the main pick up points.

It seems it's unwise to locate the extraction point too close to the air inlet at the top of the router as it risks obstructing the router's internal cooling air flow - so a good deep air box makes sense. A tapered bottom also as it reduces the chances of a dead area that will accumulate uncollected dust.

The Incra thro' fence connection is fairly restrictive, and the hose a little untidy - but it works fine with plenty of suction as on the Pentz/Clear Vue system.

ian

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Hi Justin,

Bill Huber did a nice trick where he made a cutout that just clears his router/lift - and pulled the dust collection off above this baffle. The idea is to get it before it gets pulled through the lift/router mechanisms.

If I were doing a router table I would consider this (and may even go back and mod my current table).

Try a search for it - its posted here a while back.
    That's exactly what I did; used Bill's plans when I built mine. I created a baffle with a cutout just large enough for the router to pass through. So now I have two 4" ports collecting dust; one on top and one on the bottom. As you can see in the photos, I've also added an HVAC return grate at the rear of my RT to improve airflow. The only thing left I want to do is to add two blast gates to control the amount of airflow from the top and bottom based on the type of operation I'm doing.

DSCN0104.jpg
    DSCN0105.jpg
    DSCN0006.jpg

7. Here is my solution to dust collection at my shop built router table.........

IMGP3094.jpgIMGP3095.jpg I also have a 2.5 inch hose coming to the fence [behind] where the gap is in the picture. I get nearly 100% dust collection when I have my collector running............this configuration does a super job, and I have used this set up for raised panel doors on cabinetry and glue joints, and on edge treatments for table tops etc.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Is there a probability of router damage/wear because of the dust being drawn through it with a bottom enclosed system?

I have two router tables. One collects only from the fence (4"). Works well, but some dust goes out the bottom of the table. The other table has a 4" going into the enclosed base, and has a hole in the top, connecting to the fence. It works well also, but I am a little concerned about the dust being drawn into the router.

I agree that Bills setup is great, considering doing something like it, but wonder if it is necessary?? Anyone really know??

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    Here's what I went for - the extra 4in connection was possible as I have lots of air flow with a high CFM Pentz dust system. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=router+table
    ian
    I hadn't seen your router table Ian - very nice.

Paul

Ta Paul, it's mostly a bolt together but built since you were here - the tin cabinets are a bit more basic than the nicely hand made stuff many go for.

ian

11. Here is mine. I have 4" to the fence and 4" going under the table to the router. The fourth picture is before I put a piece of 1/4" ply spaced about 2" from the back and about the same from the bottom so it draws from the bottom.
    7-4-11 002.jpg2-27-11 007.JPG2-27-11 004.JPG2-27-11 003.JPG2-27-11 008.JPG

This is mine. It's an Incra table that I enclosed and divided into two sections. The left side holds the router and all of the dust while the right side has shelves & pull-out trays of bits and accessories. Up top, the Incra Wonderfence has built-in dust collection capabilities though the extrusion to which I connect to a blast gate and a 2 1/2" hose. When I'm not using the fence I close the blast gate. The hose runs down to a "Dust Right® Router Table Dual Port" from Rockler that plugs into the back of the cabinet. I sealed up the inside of the "Dusty Side" of the cabinet then painted it with a gloss black spray bomb that I had laying around. I figured the gloss paint would make a nice low friction surface. I made an airflow regulator and mounted it to the front so that I can adjust the amount of outside air that I let in (When I'm just pulling air around the bit I find I need to open it up more to carry the dust). Inside I have my PC7518 mounted in a Woodpeckers Sidewinder lift (you can see the crank on the front of the cabinet). Overall, it seems to work pretty well. Oh, and I absolutely LOVE the Incra fence system.
    100_1578.jpg100_1580.jpg100_1579.jpg100_1582.jpg100_1583.jpg100_1584.jpg100_1585.jpg
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 05-02-2012 at 3:08 PM.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    Here's what I went for - the extra 4in connection was possible as I have lots of air flow with a high CFM Pentz dust system.
    ian
    I don't have as much suction as Ian as I only have a 14" impeller, but I still manage close to 1000 CFM by making it a very straight shot to the cyclone and no filter (by discharging outside). Here is my setup. There is a conspicuous lack of storage compared so some of the other impressive setups here (all things in due course). I find the extra suction hose on the table necessary, as the fence port is so small. The under-table box is much simpler than others I have seen that have baffles, but I have not had any build up there at all. I run my Dylos when I am using the RT and it sees no rise in dust in the air.

RT-5.jpgRT-1.jpgRT-2.jpgRT-3.jpgRT-4.jpg

Paul

Nice job Paul, still a lot more woodworking street credible than my table which is basically a bolt together job.

I thought I was the only one with a 'spare' dust collection duct. (but maybe I even saw yours before/you told me about it when we talked and I unconsciously appropriated the idea) I bust a gut trying to come up with a more integrated alternative, but couldn't manage it.

It's early says for my table still, but given how restrictive many of the dust collection arrangements are on a router it's surprising isn't it how much having enough grunt to deliver plenty of CFM still seems to help?

ian

Numerous references to Bill Huber's design. I guess I just don't know how to enter search terms. Does anyone have a link to Bill's design?

Thanks,
    Todd