Thread: Keen Kutter saw?

Keen Kutter saw?

I picked up this Keen Kutter saw at an estate sale. Not sure why it was rusty real bad , but straight and cheap $4.00. keen handle.jpgkutter.jpg. Cleaned it up no pits, and I can still make out some of the etching but no number. Anyone have any information on this saw? It's 26" cross cut and 5 TPI.
    Any good web pages for Keen Kutter saws? Was this made by Disston or it's own company?

I did a test cut and it cut slow. With 5 TPI I thought it would cut fast. It does need a good sharpening. When it is sharp should it cut faster then a saw with larger teeth count?

It looks a lot like a disston #16 but with a skewback.

Fairly certain that's a No. 88

Yup, that's a Keen Kutter 88. It is the same saw as a Disston D8 only it has a wheat carved apple handle instead of the plain apple handle that the Disston D8 has.

Yes, the lower tooth count means that your saw will rip faster than a higher tooth count. It does need to be sharp to accomplish that, though.

Thanks for the information.
    Did Disston make saws for Keen Kutter?

Blog Entries
    Yes, the lower tooth count means that your saw will rip faster than a higher tooth count.
    It also requires a bit more effort than a saw with more teeth.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)