Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 46-460

Delta 46-460

I have a Delta 46-460 reversable lather which I love. Unfortunately, it has a continuing problem that is getting worse. I can switch from forward to reverse without a problem, but when I switch bck to forward there is a delay of varable length. Today it has lasted for several hours. I can switch back to reverse and the lather will run fine, bnut still won't go in the forward direction. Has anyone had this problem or know of a solution?
    Thanks, Darrell.

2. Sounds like some sort of polarity issue to me...........perhaps a call to Delta service would render some help, but they seem to be betwixt and between ownership at present and I hear most everyone is having issues getting parts and service.........maybe they will get that fixed soon.

Polarity in the motor is where the rotation of the motor is determined, but it could be a switch issue as well as that triggers where the positive and negative charge is switched on the wires going into the motor.

I hope you can get it solved soon.........that is a bummer!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

In a single direction, single speed motor the starting capacitor kicks the motor in the desired direction when your power it up. If the starting capacitor fails then you can turn the power on and then hand spin the spindle (in either direction) and the lathe will start working in that direction. Perhaps the delta has two starting capacitors, one for each direction. Perhaps the forward starting capacitor is failing. This is likely not the case for your lathe. But the simple test is to turn the lathe on in forward. If the lathe doesn't spin up then spin the workpiece by hand to see if the lathe works. If this is the condition you should also be able to spin the lathe in reverse.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Join the club.It took me a month and a lot of calls to get a fwd reverse switch.Just keep blowing the switch with compressed air and working it and it should come out of it.Search 46-460 in the search box and you'll get all the poop.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Allen View Post
    In a single direction, single speed motor the starting capacitor kicks the motor in the desired direction when your power it up. If the starting capacitor fails then you can turn the power on and then hand spin the spindle (in either direction) and the lathe will start working in that direction. Perhaps the delta has two starting capacitors, one for each direction. Perhaps the forward starting capacitor is failing. This is likely not the case for your lathe. But the simple test is to turn the lathe on in forward. If the lathe doesn't spin up then spin the workpiece by hand to see if the lathe works. If this is the condition you should also be able to spin the lathe in reverse.
    Richard, I am not disagreeing with what you are saying about the effect of a bad starting cap but be advised that this lathe uses a 3/4hp DC motor. The reversing switch is most likely just reversing the motor windings and the switch is bad on the forward end. Yes I know that this lathe specs at 1hp but that is the overall equivalent VA(hp) rating of the lathe not just the motor.

Darrell you can verify that your FwdRev switch is good or bad by unplugging the lathe first, then simply reversing the two wires(motor leads) on the center two lugs of the switch. If there are more then 4 wires coming to the switch(excluding a couple of possible jumpers that cross from one end to the other) from another location disregard all of this and forget this post. The changing of the two wires should now cause the motor to run forward in the switch-reverse position and reverse in the switch-forward position. If it does and it will now NOT run in reverse in the forward position but does run forward in the reverse position then your switch is bad. Based on looking at your parts diagram it appears that it could be replace it with one of these from Amazon. Look at the lug side of your switch and verify that it matches the one at Amazon if it does you should be good to go to swap them out. This type of switch just snaps into the hole for it. It is a little more trouble getting out then putting back in.

Edit: The reason I suggest using the one from Amazon is partly due to Jeff Fagen's experience as noted in the previous post and the fact that Many of the Delta Parts dealers show the switch as being out of stock. If you would like to see a "similar" wiring diagram for a DC lathe motor check out the tutorial I posted in the Authors section for installing a reversing switch in my Grizzly G0658.
    Last edited by James Combs; 04-12-2012 at 6:38 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

Thanks all,
    After simply vacuuming out the switch this morning and the lathe has quit working all together. Will keep working and contact Delta (if I can get through). Appreciate all you help and will repost if and when I find the solution.

Darrell

Don't bother calling Delta they will only refer you to the Dewalt service center nearest you.Call Dewalt direct for action.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

You might try blowing the switch with compressed air which may dislodge some dust that the vacuum could"nt. Won"t hurt to try
    Dick

I agree with Dick and blow the dust out with a air compressor.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Allan I am not disagreeing with what you are saying about the effect of a bad starting cap but be advised that this lathe uses a 3/4hp DC motor. The reversing switch is most likely just reversing the motor windings and the switch is bad on the forward end. Yes I know that this lathe specs at 1hp but that is the overall equivalent VA(hp) rating of the lathe not just the motor.
    I am confused. What is the distinction between "3/4 hp motor" and 1 hp "overall equivalent VA(hp) rating of the lathe"? And how can it be a DC motor. What would change it from AC current to DC motor?

I was looking at manuals an replacement parts to try to understand this. On the way, I found out they want $77 for the knock out bar?!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian if you start adding a total for all the parts -------you will be shocked at the total.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I am confused. What is the distinction between "3/4 hp motor" and 1 hp "overall equivalent VA(hp) rating of the lathe"? And how can it be a DC motor. What would change it from AC current to DC motor?
    Hi Brian, please don't think I am saying that VA and hp are the same although they are related. 1hp equals about 746watts(volts times amps = VA or watts). All I am saying is that in order for delta to spec the 46-460 at 1hp, which if you read their liturature they do, they have to be looking at the total power consumed by the 3/4hp DC motor(about 560 watts at full output) plus the power consumed by the electronic speed control. The total must be around 746 watts or about 6.25 amps at 120 volts. Haven't seen the electrical data plate but I suspect that it indicates something real close to that. As for "What would change it from AC current to DC" the speed control has a rectifier system in it. Look the motor up on the 46-460 parts list and it specifically says that it is a "3/4hp DC motor" also if you look closely at pictures of the 46-460 you will be able to see motor brush access screws. I don't know of too many AC motors that use brushes outside of powered hand tools and other small tools that use so called universal motors.

Darrell if you read this please take a look at the data plate "ON the MOTOR" and tell us what it says. Even if it dosen't give the hp rating it will have a current and voltage rating, probably in the range of 6-8 amps at 80-100 volts and probably DC volts.

If there are any electrical engineers out there reading this please jump in here if I am out in left field on this. I am not an electrical engineer but I am a retired Navy fire control technician(Fire Controlman = operator and maintainer of missle/gun fire control radar and computer systems). As such I have a good understanding of electricity and electronics.
    Last edited by James Combs; 04-12-2012 at 4:20 PM.

"The best things in life are not things."

Yes, it does say 8 amps. I'll need glasses on to see more. Thanks for the info. I didn't know about that.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Also have the power cord pulled and as you work the switch back and forth keep the air going. It shouldent take too much if this works
    Dick

Update on the 460 switch. Delta has provided a replacement controller package for my lathe. I have it back up and running fine. Delat was very responsive and I appreciate all the support.

Darrell