Thread: Buckeye Burl

Buckeye Burl

Hey All,
    Here is a Buckeye Burl that I received yesterday from California. It is 16" x 13" x 3". I really like the Burl Cap side and want to turn something showing the Burl up and not turn most of it away on the bottom, if that makes sense? I was thinking of turning a rimmed bowl either centered or offset on the burl side. I am not sure it would look alright with just a rimmed bowl and the rest of the face in burl cap. I would like some opinions and ideas and a reference to a burl turned that way would go a long way in my decision making for this one. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Ok...first off, nice looking chunka buckeye! I love the stuff.
    I'll throw something out that I would consider, were it my piece and wanting to show off some of the burly knots.

Whether you waste block or tenon into the piece is your call...I'd probably use a waste block as the BEB can be pretty soft and give way on jaws.

The cut side is your bottom and I would shape to roughly an irregular hemisphere (i.e bowl bottom). Then turn just a smallish bowl in center of that section (or offset for drama!), leaving a big rim around of the gnarly stuff.

Just one idea!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Tim,
    Thanks for the response. If I understand your idea, it is to use the knotty burl side to shape a bowl into, whether offset or not and use the flat side as the bottom, correct. If so, that is how I wanted to do it, but haven't seen any done that way, have you? Here is an example of a Red Mallee I turned a few months ago, but it is reversed of what I was going to do. I want to leave almost all the knotty portion of the Burl on outside the turned bowl area. Has anyone seen the configuration?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I made a small platter with the "burl side up". I don't know if this is what you were envisioning or not...

burl_platter_2.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    I made a small platter with the "burl side up". I don't know if this is what you were envisioning or not...

burl_platter_2.jpg
    By Jove...I think that's it! Have any side shots of this piece David.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

burl_platter_2.jpg
    Yep, that's what I'm looking for.. David, like Tim said, do you have any side/bottom shots?
    Regards, Ken

Here's a "side shot". I don't have any of the underside but I may have a chance to take one....

burl_platter_3.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

All,
    I would like to leave the knotty Burl intact as is, except, for the area of the rimmed bowl. what do you think, Good, bad or ugly?
    Regards, Ken

Blog Entries
    That looks like a burl I was bidding on and lost. A real beauty for sure. Can't wait to see what you make.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

It appears that the center bark inclusion goes all the way through the cap, and it's unfortunate that the blank was sawed flat on the 2 sides. This is an example of the hard design decisions that must be applied to each individual burl project.

burl_platter_2.jpg
    That looks like a Holy Platter to me (That's super cool by the way!)
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

All,
    After pondering the design over and over, I think I might take the logical route and turn the flat side into a bowl, and will leave as much Burl on the other side as I can. I might stand it up and display it with a front back view, but after I start turning it, that might change too. One things for sure, it will be fun.

Bill,
    I did get it off eBay for the bargain price of $21, but I'll let you know if it was a bargain after all, after I try and turn it into something. I have been trying to envision something from it for a couple days now.
    Regards, Ken