Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My latest humidor. Koa & Tropical Walnut.

Blog Entries

My latest humidor. Koa & Tropical Walnut.

Since finished the last one I posted in December, I've been working on this one. I built this one for one of my veneer suppliers. He said he had been saving this koa for 7 years for just the right project. I'm honored to be the one that got to put it to use. It measures around 15x18x8 if i remember correctly. it weighs in at 35 lbs and will hold around 300 to 500 cigars. The finish is an automotive clear coat and there is about 12 coats on it. What a PITA, finish always is. The finish was harder than the build. Anyway, please enjoy.IMG_0699.JPGIMG_0696.JPGIMG_0698.JPGIMG_0707.JPGIMG_0702.JPGIMG_0703.JPGIMG_0700.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 05-02-2012 at 3:23 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Bill when are you ever going to do something that the average woodworker can relate to...?

As always, absolutely awesome work!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Lately when I see one of your humidors, I see a scene in my head from Antiques Roadshow circa 2112. An appraiser is eying with envy a humidor that an older gentleman has brought in. He asks the owner, "Did you know that he made a living installing stereos in cars?" The owner has a surprised/skeptical look and says "Really?! You're joking." Appraiser, "Not at all. Of course many of these stereos were in show quality cars and you might have had a hard time even recognizing them as stereos if you didn't hear the music coming from them. He made these humidors in his spare time. It was his attention to detail that makes him stand out in both avocations." Owner, "Well all I know is that this humidor has been in my family for a hundred years and it will stay in it as long as I'm alive. Hopefully for a long time after that."

Wow Brett! Can't do much better than that. And ... I agree, Bill's stuff is THAT good.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Beautiful job Bill...really outstanding!

It really just comes down to one word - INCREDIBLE!!! Bill, you are truly a well rounded artist and craftsman. I know you love doing the sound systems, and you are no doubt phenomenal at that. But, honestly, woodworking should be your life!

Hate to say it but WOW! Speechless otherwise!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I think John NAILED IT.

You should be honored that he gave the veneer to you to put to good use, just not surprised.
    Every piece that you post is an inspiration in design and craftsmanship.
    I hope you never find a reason to stop sharing your work with us.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Bill, Outstanding work! What an honor to be trusted with that beautiful Koa! I assume that's Spanish Cedar on the inside. Do you do anything to 'season' the cedar before the build. And do you install a moisture meter inside your humidors. Sorry for the boring questions but I've been commissioned to build one and I'd like to get a good fix on how to best maintain the proper moisture content for the cigars.
    I just hope my humidor can look 10% as good as this one!!!

Blog Entries
    You guys are way too kind. Thanks very much. I've often wondered about the stories that will be told of my work long after I'm gone. I'm guessing the guys at antique road show would say "He was kind of nuts but really enjoyed his woodworking." As far as doing it as a living goes, I'm way too slow to make any kind of real money at it, I just have fun. If you would like to see my car audio work, search for Tuscon car audio. The TOS prohibits posting an url or a link. A lot of woodworking done in that area too. It's mainly a photo album more than anything of my more recent work. We're still working on the carbon fiber truck. The client has changed it 5 or more times since we started.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 05-03-2012 at 6:56 AM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Well, Bill, I think it is only okay. I think I see a thumb print in the finish, too.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Another incredible humidor.
    Impeccable work as always Bill.

Bill,
    what a great project !!

can you tell me what is "tropical" walnut?? I thought it only grew in some cooler climates or non-tropical climes.

Beautiful !
    MARK

Truly beautiful, Bill.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...